3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2017 8:44 AM by phoffmann

software name within inventory data contains weird characters

HermiM Apprentice

Hi LANdesk experts,

I would need some helps here.

We are using LDMS version = 2016.3 SU02 on windows server 2012 R2 datacenter since while now.

Recently I have found that software name included in device's inventory data are not right formatted. For example for Microsoft dot Net framework I found many entries related to language pack and one of this entry has the name Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 (????)

ldmsn_software_name_issue1.jpg

I think the problem is coming from this language pack Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 (简体中文) since all other language pack are included in the inventory in the right text encoding.

Please note that this is not the only software name there are many others.

I did a small troubleshooting and this is what I found: (the troubleshooting was made on the same computer and just for the mentioned software)

1- I checked installed software from the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and the name is saved with the right text encoding

2- I checked the "invdelta.dat" file and from there I found out that the name of these software (with weird characters in their name) are the same as in LANDesk database. I checked the encoding of this file with notepad (ANSI) and with notepad++(UTF-8 Withou BOM)

3- I started ldiscn32.exe with these switches ldiscn32.exe /NTT=<coreserver>:5007 /s=<coreserver> /I=http://<coreserver>/ldappl3.ldz /O=inventory.scn -sync. I opened the "inventory.scn" file with notepad and notepad++ (encoding is UTF-8) to find that the name of the software contains the same weird caracters as in the database.

4- I enabled the storage feature for LANDesk Inventory service (so the scan file will be saved under \ldscan\storage on the core server) and I checked the inventory file of the same computer where I am performing this troubleshooting to find that the software name  contains the same weird characters Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 (????). The encoding of this scan file on the core server is UTF-8

5- Last step was to check the data in the database and it contains the same software name. Please note that the SQL collation is SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

I think that the problem is coming from ldiscn32.exe and how it define text encoding. I don't know what to do else. So if any one can help me that will be good

• 1. Re: software name within inventory data contains weird characters
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

So - database side, we use UTF-8, so double-byte characters aren't an issue.

2 possible problem sources:

• The CLIENT -- if it has chinese (or whatever double-byte char) language stuff installed, chances are it'll have the relevant double-byte regional stuff. So I don't think THAT will be the problem, but just highlighting that "if the client can't read the characters" then the inventory scan will have issues.
          • The CORE -- this is probably the actual cause. If the Core can't interpret the symbols correctly (when it's talking to the inventory service), then this sort of issue may arise ... "Hey - there's unknown characters in here ... I'll just put a ??? in there).

... that's (logically) what I suspect to be the case.

So may be as simple as "add chinese / other language character sets to your Core" .

• 2. Re: software name within inventory data contains weird characters
            HermiM Apprentice

phoffmann thanks for your quick answer

I don't think that the client doesn't support double-byte char since the software name is writed correctly in the registry.

The funny thing I don't think that the problem is coming from the core server too since the core server will save to the database what client send. An in our case the client send it with ????? char

I think it is a defect in ldiscn32.exe I have already opened a case in LANDesk support and I will update this discussion once I get a feedback.

• 3. Re: software name within inventory data contains weird characters
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

That's interesting.

Makes sense what you're saying ... let us know how it goes.

Hopefully it's just a "doh" on our part then .