1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 21, 2017 4:54 AM by phoffmann

How to exclude some systems from patching periodically

CampDirector Rookie

Hello all, here is my situation.

I have two patching groups.  Production and non-production.  We install all of the newest patches to non-production first, and then if they don't break anything, we install them to production.  However, one of my business units who has all of their systems in the production group has requested that I not install patches next month as they anticipate a high workload.  And, they may occasionally ask this to be done again so I want to develop a repeatable process to exclude them.  It's about 65 systems of the total 1000 or so systems.  Any ideas how to exclude just these systems, some of the time?  Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: How to exclude some systems from patching periodically
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Use queries.

One essentially to each cover:

• All your production systems
          • All your production systems minus the 65 devices.

... the 65 devices can be excluded by including a "AND COMPUTER NAME NOT = 'Device_1'" through to Device_65 (tip - use the "Multi-insert" option to add up to 50 devices at a time).

... If that department has a single identifier for themselves / those devices, it can be even easier. Add a piece of custom data to those boxes and just include a

""

... AND "Custom Data - My Tag - Special Status" != "I am Special"

""

for instance.

There's all sorts of ways of skinning this particular cat. But the above two are two fairly simple ways to approach this.

Does that help?