3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2017 7:38 AM by John Stuart-Robson

Inbound Subject Keyword Wildcard

jwwtss Apprentice

I was curious if the inbound email action setting for the 'update' keyword was designed to use a wildcard for inbound mail.  The reason I ask is to separate two different processes (one for incident, one for requests) but still be able to use the inbound mail to create a note on both processes.  I have it setup currently using the same keyword in both processes but wondered if this was possible.

For example:

Incident email keywords - "Service Desk Ticket #"

Request email keywords = "Service Desk Request #"

Keywords with wildcard = "Service Desk * #"

With the wildcard this would be able to catch both inbound and process them correctly based on the mappings that I have created.

Any input would or other ideas would be appreciated.

Jake

• 1. Re: Inbound Subject Keyword Wildcard
          John Stuart-Robson Employee

Hi Jake,

You would need to create a seperate inbound mapping for request and incident.  The 'Update' keyword will work for both mailboxes in this sense.

Using Update {Id} in the subject line sent to request@acme.com will update the request.

Using Update {Id} in the subject line sent to incident@acme.com will update the incident.

You can't have use a single mailbox and update either a request or an incident based on the subjectline.

Hope that helps.

John

• 2. Re: Inbound Subject Keyword Wildcard
            jwwtss Apprentice

Thanks John.  That is how I have it setup currently with the two inbound mail mappings and the outbound email to use inbound mail boxes.  The way we have our notifications setup we want to use different wording in the email subject to make it more clear whether it is a request or an incident.  That is why I was curious about the wildcard so whether the subject contained "Service Desk Ticket #{Id}" or "Service Desk Request #{Id}" we would use a wildcard to replace either "Ticket" or "Request" add the note.

I hope that's more clear as to what I am trying to do.

Thanks.

Jake

• 3. Re: Inbound Subject Keyword Wildcard
              John Stuart-Robson Employee

Hi Jake,

That makes sense.  You can use the "{Class/Title}" placeholder in the subject of your notifications.  This will state whether it is an incident or request.

Hope that helps.

John