4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2017 12:59 AM by andreas.lindner

Trying to create a request from Incident with request window and Instance Data

Spartan Apprentice

Good Day,

I would like to create a request from an incident with the "requested for / requested by" data pre-populated.

Adding an "Action Instance" on it's own requires us to fill in all the data

Adding an "Action Instance" followed by an "Automatic Action Instance" (with the data below), creates the request with the expected data but the window does not open. 

Pretty sure I'm missing something obvious here =o(    any advice you could offer would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Trying to create a request from Incident with request window and Instance Data
          michael.odriscoll SupportEmployee

Hi Sylvain,

Thanks for posting to the Community.

Do you have any update that you can share with us here?

Michael

• 2. Re: Trying to create a request from Incident with request window and Instance Data
            andreas.lindner Expert

Hi Spartan,

if I understand your problem correctly, you want to open a new request window with some attributes already populated from your incident?!

First you have to determine if you want to see a window or not. Windows usually will be shown if using an manual action from a collection (like Notes, Attachments, Closures, or similar) or if you add a new manual action and select "Allow Association With Window = true", the main window will be shown. Automatic actions will never display a window when working with tickets in your web access.

So there are two options:

1. Show window with pre populated attributes (manual action "Create Request") or
            2. show no window and pre populate attributes using an automatic action (manual windowless action e.g. "Convert to Service Request" followed by automatic action "Create Request").

For the first option you have to use so called copy rules (Window Manager - see Screenshot for example) and configure them to "copy" any data you want to the target attribute e.g. RaiseUser, Title, etc. More info:How to set up Copy Rules

You just have to test some options and if they work the way you like it.

CopyRules.png

For the second option you can add more runtime values or calculations to the Create Request automatic action and then simply open the Request for further editing.

I hope that I set you on the right track!?

Andreas

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Trying to create a request from Incident with request window and Instance Data
              Spartan Apprentice

Good Afternoon & thank you for your reply Andreas

I went about doing this in a different fashion but would like to try to make use of copy rules as they sound much easier, but I can't seem to make it work.

1) I created the copy rule (as per the screenshot)  

2) Created a Manual action "Create Request" followed by an Automatic Action "Create Request"

3) Edited the Request Window to use copy related

I'm assuming I'm missing something obvious =o(

-=-=-

What I did was create a few business objects and created a "fake request Window" and passed along the values.

But this is not ideal for obvious reasons. 

Thank again for the reply

• 4. Re: Trying to create a request from Incident with request window and Instance Data
                andreas.lindner Expert

Hi,

sometimes you need to set the "Copy related Object" to true too. It depends if you want to copy a "whole" object, mostly from lists, or a simple string or boolean value. I set them both to be true most of the time, it should not have any negative effect if doing so. But sometimes even the copy rules won't trigger, so only the runtime values and calculations will remain to use.

The fake request window is, as for the moment, the only way I know of, to get the data from the Incident, check and amend it and then put it into the Request. So you've done alright so far.

Andreas