5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2009 8:06 AM by Frank Wils

adding extra date fields in inventory

I'm trying to add two extra date fields to the inventory details of my computers, one to hold the purchase date and one to hold the warranty until date.

Wen I add the date fields and fill them I use MM/DD/YY to fill in dates.

However at random times the dates I put in get mixed up.

For instance when I put in purchase date 09/06/05  and it gets displayed as 06/09/05

Very confusing and very annoying if you have to insert >100 machines and have to double check every time and you cannot rely on the output of your input.

I'm working on a WinXP Pro 32bit machine with Landesk MS 8.8 SP2 console connected to 8.8 SP2 core server.

My localization is Dutch but I can't see this being the cause as it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

Hope you have some tips to solve this.

• 1. Re: adding extra date fields in inventory

ok I've found out the following:

if I insert using MM/DD/YY and the DD is less or equal to 12 (max. month) than LDMS just switches the DD and the MM.

so still nasty to work but a bit more predictable.

• 2. Re: adding extra date fields in inventory
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

1 - Find out / Make sure that the data is correct on the client.

2 - I am ASSUMING that you are pulling this as custom data from clients' registry? Or if not, please specify how you insert it (and via what method). There's lots of different ways of getting custom data into the DB, so it's very important to give a lot of detail on these subjects.

It's certainly possible that this could be a genuine bug, but in order to make that call (and get you to log a support ticket or not), I'd need to know more on exactly WHAT you're doing (start to finish) and where you're doing it, and on what environment (what language Core + DB + their OS's) ?

3 - Yes, you said your localisation is dutch, but I'm guessing that your Core + DB are installed on an English OS? Lots of environments have it this way, but you didn't confirm either way if this is your scenario too .

Again - the big thing is going to be in the detail as to where / how you get the data into the DB - then I should hopefully be able to help a bit more .

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 3. Re: adding extra date fields in inventory
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

Hmm - on re-reading, it sounds like you're using the 32-bit Console's "direct entry" method of adding those dates.

Direct entry is generally advised against. Not because it's "bad" per se, but more on account of risk of data loss and having to re-do it. I've explained this in more detail somewhere ...

Ah here:

Generally, my advice would be to strongly concentrate on getting this data from clients (i.e. customer registry keys) - greatly improves your chances if your DB should go up in flames and makes you resilient.

Hope that helps :).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 4. Re: adding extra date fields in inventory

Could also be a custom data form? Anyway, here's the options you have to work with when putting external data into LANDesk. http://www.droppedpackets.org/misc/external-unmodeled-data/

• 5. Re: adding extra date fields in inventory
                  Frank Wils ITSMMVPGroup

If you use Managed Planet DTS, and you use Dell, HP, IBM or Acer, you can automatically download warranty info from the web into the inventory. adding new fields and keeping them is also a lot easier with DTS.