5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2017 11:39 PM by Robin Rowe

Local Folder in a TrueCrypt Container

detlefp Rookie

Hi,

I'm fairly new to the File Director product so my apologies, if my question has been raised already in the past but search did not tell me about this.

I'm using the Windows Client and I would like to set the local folder for File Director inside a Truecrypt container which is mounted during system startup as well.

So my question would be:

Are there any experiences with having the local cache inside a Truecrypt Container?

Are there any things to consider before trying to setup the configuration this way?

Are there any general issues from an architectural point of view which might result from the combination of FileDirector and TrueCrypt?

One might argue that I could use Bitlocker for the entire harddisk but this is no valid option as of today. Only parts of the data should be encrypted, which TrueCrypt is being used for.

Thanks a lot for any help and feedback on this!

Detlef

• 1. Re: Local Folder in a TrueCrypt Container
          Robin Rowe SupportEmployee

Hi Detlef,

Thanks for posting your question. As you noted, bitlocker is the most prevalent encryption option, and used by many of our customers - this is transparent to File Director and there are no known interoperability issues.

I'm not personally aware of any customers currently using Truecrypt to secure File Director locations (but I may be corrected ) With regards to your architectural considerations question, File director uses the user's temporary folder (%temp%) as a staging area for things like resumable downloads, delta sync generation and conflict resolution, which may be a consideration.

I would stress that our QA team do not currently test with encryption software beyond bitlocker - as such, I'd recommend testing thoroughly in a non-production environment to ensure there are no side effects.

Kind Regards,

Robin Rowe

Ivanti Technical Support

• 2. Re: Local Folder in a TrueCrypt Container
            detlefp Rookie

Hi Robin,

thanks a lot for your quick reply, it's very much appreciated.

I got your message and changed my local configuration yesterday to have the local cache folder resist inside the TrueCrypt volume. I applied one more change just to keep it on the safe side: the automatic login after my Windows Login has been disabled to ensure that the TrueCrypt disk is available for sure.

To share my first impressions and experiences with you: it works and it works absolutely smooth. So far no issue at all, no side effects. All folders present, uploads and downloads working without any issues. Looks great so far! :-)

Quick question beyond: is there any Outlook Plugin available at the moment? I remember this from the past but cannot find any recent download...?!

Cheers

Detlef

• 3. Re: Local Folder in a TrueCrypt Container

HI Detlef,

Thanks for sharing the results of your testing, I'm glad to hear the results are positive. Regarding the availability of an Outlook plugin - I'm afraid there is not one available at this point in time - this would need to be requested by the feature request route if required

Kind regards,

Robin Rowe

Ivanti Technical Support

• 4. Re: Local Folder in a TrueCrypt Container
                detlefp Rookie

Hi Robin,

is that Outlook plugin somewhere on your roadmap already or would that be something entirely new for your development streams?

Cheers

Detlef

• 5. Re: Local Folder in a TrueCrypt Container

Hi Detlef,

It's not a current roadmap item to my knowledge, but our feature request portal allows the submission and community voting of ideas for attention of our Product Management team, so would recommend adding via this route - this is reached via the 'ideas' button above,

Regards,

Robin Rowe

Ivanti Technical Support