3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2008 8:44 AM by Golddiggie

USABLE VMware Virtual Appliance version of the Management Gateway

Apprentice

The appliance VM that you can download is fine for VMware Server 1.0.x but completely useless when it comes to ESX/ESXi... ESXi looks for .ovf files when it comes to importing virtual appliances. Uploading the currently available VMware Appliance files doesn't fly. You can add it to inventory, but it comes up as being invalid.

This is important to me since I'm migrating off of the VMware Server 1.0.x version and moving to the ESXi 3 (or ESX 3.5)... This is a stand alone host server without Virtual Center (I can't afford it, presently, for one server)...

If anyone has a WORKING .ovf version of this, let me know. I can provide a place to upload it so that I can test in my environment.

• 1. Re: USABLE VMware Virtual Appliance version of the Management Gateway
          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

The VMWare image of the gateway is designed for demonstration purposes only as it is also limited on the number of connections it can handle.  To use the Management gateway you need to be purchasing the Management Gateway Appliance.

Mark Star - MarXtar LANDesk Enhancements

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk

• 2. Re: USABLE VMware Virtual Appliance version of the Management Gateway
            Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

MarXtar is correct.

You have always had to have a software license and some hardware to run the Gateway on.  It is not supported in VM for production and never has been.  The VM we have is for demo and trial only.

There are two fees:

1. The management gateway license

2. The hardware.

You may get a free license for the Gateway software with the purchase of a PMA for Management Suite (I won't claim to be a licensing expert or claim that what I say is not subject to change).  It is not a license for Linux, Linux is of course free and open source.  It is the software we have running on Linux you are licensing.

In the past we let you buy you own hardware.  That is no longer the case.  You must buy our appliance now.  So the total cost really hasn't changed.  The only different is that you buy the hardware from us now, not from some other hardware vendor.

• 3. Re: USABLE VMware Virtual Appliance version of the Management Gateway
              Apprentice

I was able to get the vmware appliance to work when importing it through Virtual Center 2.5 onto my ESXi host.

I need to use this in order to test the item and provide a proof of product/concept to the powers that be in order to request additional funds to purchase the full appliance.