1 Reply Latest reply on May 8, 2017 12:08 PM by Tanner Lindsay

Windows 10 via Roll-Out Project vs Other Migration Strategy

DeclanDonnelly Rookie

I am starting a new project on updating 400+ laptops and desktops from Windows 7 (86/64 bit) to Windows 10 32/64 bit. I hope to utilize my LDMS 2016 installation to the fullest extent so I would like to ask for some guidance.

I am thinking of using the Rollout projects feature of LDMS to upgrade our Windows 7 clients.  Has anyone experience working with this?   If so, what steps would you recommend?

If you are not using this, does any one of know of anonther type of migration strategy where LDMS can be used to upgrade to Windows 10?  

Thanks in advance for any help given, it is greatly appreciated.

Declan

• 1. Re: Windows 10 via Roll-Out Project vs Other Migration Strategy
          Tanner Lindsay SupportEmployee

The Rollout Projects feature is focused on deploying patches and software distribution packages. The idea being it installs the patches on a "pilot" group, then if those are successful, it can move to a larger group and so on, installing on more machines until (normally) a mass deployment is approved and run. You can find more here:

Introducing Rollout Projects LDMS 2016

How To: Get Started Using the New Rollout Projects Tool for Software Distribution

Rolling out a new operating system is a bit different from this type of process. Usually you want to move through machines over time, as they are replaced, by site or department or something similar. Additionally it is much more disruptive to end users and you likely wouldn't want your entire environment doing OS upgrades at the same time (could be one serious case of the Mondays)

You can use the OS Provisioning tool to help upgrade machines, there are many various options to move a machine through, including preparing the machine, imaging the machine, installing updates and software and other post-migration tasks. You can find some more information about Provisioning in the specific area, as well as a couple docs to get started:

How to Provision Windows 10

Windows 10 Migration – Management Suite and AppSense

The last one leverages some additional technology to help manage user profiles. It is also possible to add additional automation/process around the OS Provisioning task/tool. If you are interested in that, I'd recommend checking with the Ivanti Professional Services team.