5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2008 12:07 PM by puercomal

Reporting on .msg files

Rookie

We are moving towards an enhanced level of securing our email and one of the requirements is to identify any/all .msg files on our PC's and network drives.

I know how to find specific files (ex: we track certain fonts by their name.ttf) by updating the ldappl3.ini and adding a file to be tracked, but I don't know how I would record any .msg's found.

I looked around but didn't find anything so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kyle

• 1. Re: Reporting on .msg files
          Rookie

Kyle

Be sure you have enough space to grow your db first and then...

1. Add .msg to the 'ScanExtensions=' section of the ldappl.template, make it available to clients then wait for the scans to come in.
          2. Create a query where Software > Package > File Name is LIKE .MSG
          3. Either select the columns in the query or via a column set to include the Software > Package > File Name
          4. Export the resultant device list to CSV

Hope this helps,

Andrew

• 2. Re: Reporting on .msg files
            Rookie

Went through those steps and it doesn't seem to be finding the info. I have done this before wiht a font, but the I had to create a file with the fonts name so that when it was found (using the .ttf extension added to the ldappl3 file) it found the file I was looking for.

It seems that I will have to change the mode to ALL instead of listed to have it gather all .msg's.

If you were able to get this to work, I'd love to hear it so I don't have to go to changing the mode.

Thanks for the input!

• 3. Re: Reporting on .msg files
              Rookie
              1. Take a copy of your current LDAPPL files.
              2. Create a new LDAPPL.INI that uses the ALL mode and set the scan extensions to only look for .MSG files. Put the new INI in a subfolder of LDLOGON.
              3. Create a inventoryscanner task that references this new INI file and run it on the targets

This way your machines will revert to the normal scan next time but you'll be able to get the info from the targets in phases.

• 4. Re: Reporting on .msg files
                Rookie

We are having a problem getting the .msg's collected it looks like. We created a sub directory called "MSG_TEST". We copied the ldappl3.ini to that directory. We then went into that file and found the line that calls to the ldappl3.ini and put our subfolder in it's path.

We set this up as a task and when we drag machines to it and run it, the task runs and completes but we don't find anything.

I guess where we are a bit in the dark is how to get the task created that makes the machine running it point at the subfolder for the copy of the ldappl3.ini.

For reference, here is the line from the modified ldappl3.ini that we added the subfolder into:

REMEXEC1=<qt/>%LDMS_CLIENT_DIR%\LDISCN32.EXE<qt/> /NTT=%server%:5007 /S="%server%" /I=HTTP://%server%/ldlogon/MSG_Test/ldappl3.ini /NOUI /NOCD /F /SYNC

Kyle

• 5. Re: Reporting on .msg files
                  Employee

ldappl3.*, not just .ini.