1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2017 11:39 AM by keburkhart

Windows 10 1703 provisioning issues

steve.may Apprentice

Anyone having any luck provisioning machines with a Windows 10 1703 image?  I built the image the same as I have for all of our other builds using the ISO from the Volume Licensing site, but I'm having trouble.  Everything works properly in PE, but then after CTOS runs and the machine logs into Windows, I'm having a few different random issues:

• About half the time, ldprovision is running, but no GUI is being displayed.  These machines typically finish successfully, but the desktop analysts cannot see the progress of provisioning from the machine.
      • About half the time, ldprovision doesn't launch.  The machine just sits in an active state and does nothing.  On a few occasions I was able to restart the machine, log in with the admin account, and then ldprovision would start running.
      • Sometimes when ldprovision runs after CTOS, it fails at agent installation and the template stops even though everything in the logs appears to be successful.

Just wanted to see if anyone else had any experience with any of this.  Everything works properly if we use our Windows 10 1607 image.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Windows 10 1703 provisioning issues
          ghostrider3410 Apprentice

We are having these same issues, seems pretty random. It works fine 1 time then after that doesn't, same provisioning script. It does seem to get stuck on CTOS a lot.

Steve

• 2. Re: Windows 10 1703 provisioning issues
            deszaras Rookie

I'm not seeing the same issues, but I have found that the unattend file I have used for every other Windows 10 version no longer works, it seems to have trouble creating a local user account now.  I can only assume this is an undocumented change in windows but if this is working for anyone else, please share how you are doing it!

• 3. Re: Windows 10 1703 provisioning issues
              gmb019-Bucknell Apprentice

Unattend still working from prior builds here, but consistently have the CTOS issue post-sysprep, fix is to write the CTOS install line to a run-once line in unattend, as below...  Haven't distributed Creators enough to know how its behaving beyond the provisioning from PXE kickoff ...

<RunSynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">

<Description>LDMS Provisioning Client Install</Description>

<Order>9</Order>

<Path>cmd /c c:\ldprovisioning\ldprovisioning.cmd</Path>

</RunSynchronousCommand>

The issue I'm having consistently, which is inconsistent in occurrence, is a failure to join the domain....  any insight into that would be helpful!

• 4. Re: Windows 10 1703 provisioning issues

I'll try that with the unattend file. We had to start using a powershell script to join the domain, that seems to work all the time.

• 5. Re: Windows 10 1703 provisioning issues

Can you post your script?  I've tried a bunch of PS scripts, and thus far none being consistently successful since going to Creators.  I just made a change, which will hopefully get us there, but we've yet to test it thoroughly.  I pass the password and OU to an autoIT script which elevates the powershell command to get proper admin access, and again passes those items in the command referencing the ps1 file.  The script then joins the domain, checks for the OU, compares the OU to what was passed, and if different, moves the object to the desired OU.  My fingers are crossed, but it would be nice to see what others are using successfully...

• 6. Re: Windows 10 1703 provisioning issues
                    steve.may Apprentice

I ended up adding a couple lines to the answer file that seems to have fixed it.

SkipMachineOOBE>true</SkipMachineOOBE

SkipUserOOBE>true</SkipUserOOBE

HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>true</HideWirelessSetupInOOBE

Even though those are supposedly deprecated in Windows 10, they still appear to function.  So far I have not had ldprovision not relaunch after the machine enters Windows for the first time.

1 of 3 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Windows 10 1703 provisioning issues

I tried to add those lines in the unattend file and got an error during provisioning. They go in the specialize pass right?

Steve

• 8. Re: Windows 10 1703 provisioning issues
                        steve.may Apprentice

I've got mine in oobeSystem.

• 9. Re: Windows 10 1703 provisioning issues

I got those loaded fine eventually, having problems with:

<RunSynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">

<Description>LDMS Provisioning Client Install</Description>

<Order>9</Order>

<Path>cmd /c c:\ldprovisioning\ldprovisioning.cmd</Path>

</RunSynchronousCommand>

• 10. Re: Windows 10 1703 provisioning issues

Should be under

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Deployment" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

and you'd need to properly iterate the task number as relevant to your unattend process.

• 11. Re: Windows 10 1703 provisioning issues
                              Apprentice

Under the <OOBE>

Adding these lines fixed the problem for me:

<HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>true</HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>

<SkipMachineOOBE>true</SkipMachineOOBE>

<SkipUserOOBE>true</SkipUserOOBE>

I have no idea what made it work but it did.

• 12. Re: Windows 10 1703 provisioning issues
                                cpederson Rookie

We are having the same issues as well, actually all of the above. im not a Microsoft expert, but would anyone be willing to share their working windows 10 1703 unattended.xml ... of course strip out any proprietary information for your company. I've tried adding the runsynchronouscmd but have had the same error each time.

Havent tried the oobe skips yet

for reference we're running windows 10 enterprise 1703 with Landesk 2016 SU5 on Dell 7270/7280 and 5040/7040

• 13. Re: Windows 10 1703 provisioning issues
                                  Apprentice

The ONLY way I could get it to work was by adding the OOBE skips in the unattended.xml.

I have no idea why this worked it just did.

I syspreped the computer with OOBE, Generalized and Shutdown.

I created a copy of the unattended.xml and made the skip changes and uploaded it as Win10v1703 then selected it as the injected unattend in that step.

Here is all I have in my OOBE section. I hope this helps.

<OOBE>

<HideEULAPage>true</HideEULAPage>

<HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>true</HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>

<NetworkLocation>Work</NetworkLocation>

<ProtectYourPC>1</ProtectYourPC>

<SkipMachineOOBE>true</SkipMachineOOBE>    

<SkipUserOOBE>true</SkipUserOOBE>

</OOBE>

4 of 4 people found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: Windows 10 1703 provisioning issues
                                    bcstring SupportEmployee

I have also learned today that our Professional Services group has found that in many cases it is also possible to add a reboot action with a delay of 100 seconds as the first action in the System Configuration section of the template which will force a reboot and the template will be allowed to continue working from that point.

We are working to identify changes we can make in Provisioning to allow operation without either of these changes, but these are valid workarounds in the mean time.

Bryce.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                    1 2 Previous Next