2 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2017 11:10 AM by AaronWills

Side by side migration - 9.6 to 2017.1 - what to do with preferred servers?

AaronWills Apprentice

Hi all,

I'm currently building a 2017.1 core to replace out 9.6sp3 core.  It's going to have a new database due to some problems with the old one we don't want to inherit.

I want to run them side by side and migrate devices across in batches.  (assuming creating a self contained exe agent and pushing from the old core is the way to go?).

Question is, while we're running two cores (which could be a few weeks or so), do I need an extra preferred server at each site or at least more drive space and a new share on each?

Assuming you can't replicate from two cores to one preferred server.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers, Aaron

• 1. Re: Side by side migration - 9.6 to 2017.1 - what to do with preferred servers?
          Peter Massa Expert

Hey Aaron,

You should not need to duplicate your preferred servers.

You can have multiple cores sharing the same preferred servers - simply add their connection paths and credentials with-in both cores.

Clients do not care if the preferred server is managed by the core or not - all that they care about is that the path is available and the credentials they are provided work.

The parts where it will be tricky is:

1. If you use the preferred server as a PXE/Netboot host.

- In this case it will use whichever core's agent is installed on it.  So you will have to switch these over all at once by installing the new core's agent and PXE services once you are ready.

2. Only 1 of the cores will be able to replicate the data out (unless you do some magic with certificates, but would not be needed for your situation).  So in short - you will continue replicating packages out using the old core, until you deploy the new core's agents to the preferred servers, in which case you would need to then setup replication to run from the new core.

Hope this helps,

Peter

• 2. Re: Side by side migration - 9.6 to 2017.1 - what to do with preferred servers?
            AaronWills Apprentice

Thanks for your reply Peter.  I only just saw this unfortunately, (I had expected an email notification) so I've gone ahead and had infrastructure set up new preferred servers for us and they can retire the old ones once we've fully migrated.  This will be easier I think, albeit more resource hungry, but they said they had the resources so it's ok.  Hopefully your answer will help others though.