6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2017 9:43 AM by phoffmann

Microsoft Foundation Classes

Rookie

I'm noticing that the LDMS management console is not behaving with all of the standard Microsoft Foundation Classes implemented. Personally, I hate not having all the functionality implemented, and it annoys me when I automatically try to use one only to find the window does not do what it is suppose to do.

Has anyone noticed this?

Does anyone know why this is?

What are your thoughts?

• 1. Re: Microsoft Foundation Classes
          michael.odriscoll SupportEmployee

Hi Rich,

Thanks for posting to the Community.

Did you find any further information about this? You could try searching our Advice Center.

Michael

• 2. Re: Microsoft Foundation Classes
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

Is there anything in particular that you would inculde as an example?

If you want to suggest changes to the Console make-up, you can log an enhancement request for consideration here -- Enhancement Requests .

Just saying "stuff is missing" (without giving an example of WHAT you're missing and WHY it's important) is usually not terribly helpful / productive (we've not figured out how to read minds just yet - so documenting & arguing such opinions is a big help) .

• 3. Re: Microsoft Foundation Classes
              Rookie

I didn't say stuff was missing. As a software engineer, it is obvious to me that the Microsoft Foundation Classes weren't used in the Administrator Console. The windows portrayed to not behave as expected. i.e. double clicking the header edge should resize from top-to-bottom without changing width. Windows 'M' should minimize every window. LDMC ignores this command. Granted, it does respond to Windows 'D', but there are differences between the behaviors of the two commands, and I prefer using Windows 'M' in most cases.

If the foundation classes were used, this would automatically happen, without direct programming effort by the programmers.

Another is the assumption the programmers use is that users prefer the mouse over the keyboard. As a programmer myself, I rarely use the mouse, and instead, use the keyboard commands to enable what I want to do. There are few keyboard commands available, and those that exist, are implemented inconsistently.  For example, the lack of ability to tab in many areas of the software extremely frustrating. I'm forced to take my hands off the keyboard to use the mouse, thereby slowing me down. There are several other examples that frustrate me at every turn.

Now, don't get me wrong. There is a lot of good stuff in the LDMC. As a long time user of Landesk. I understand the behavior's of the software and it is a quality product. I like it a lot. I just wish its interface would behave exactly as every other Windows program.

• 4. Re: Microsoft Foundation Classes

Right - gotcha. Now that initial statement makes a lot more sense.

(This is why providing context is very important).

The way forward for this would be to log this as an enhancement request (pretty much with the explanation you've given) in the ER portal here -- Enhancement Requests .

Not sure how much the work involved would be - usually the decision to do "request A" over "request B" tends to be the combination of following factors (in no particular order):

- Popularity of request A over request B

- Effort / complexity of one request over the other

- ROI for customers of implementing one feature over the other.

- Sustainability of one feature over another (i.e.: something that'd go EOL as soon as it's available because Microsoft announced they're killing off an underlying tech for instance) is a big factor. For instance, I wouldn't expect any Flash-based ER's to be terribly likely now, given that Flash is EOL'ed in 2020.

... and so on.

Making a good business case & posting a popular ER (PM do look at the ER portal) is the trick. If you happen to consciously notice a sore sport that a lot of customers haven't even realised that's been annoying them, you're very likely to pick up a lot of positive responses of the "I want this too!" style very quickly .

That's the best channel to put your request forward, since devs usually (one hopes) "code as they're told" and the decision to do / not do something usually lies with the PM over a given component / section.

Hope that helps?

• 5. Re: Microsoft Foundation Classes
                  Rookie

Thanks @phoffmann, your comments to help.

I hadn't considered writing an enhancement request, mostly because I am still trying to figure out what direction Ivanti (formally LANDesk) is going in the future.

You're right of course. The developers do only what they are told to do by their superiors. I've been on both sides of that fence over the decades. ROI is also important and I suspect many customers won't care. So what if the program behaviors is a bit odd, if it does the job then so what. But Ivanti will care as they will not have to reinvent the 'wheel' every time Microsoft upgrades their OS, a significant cost savings. I dare say, that as long Microsoft and the Windows platform is in existence, sustainability is guaranteed. Foundation Classes are the basis that Microsoft uses to write all their software, and changes here cascade down to all Windows products compiled using their classes.

Implementing the Foundation Classes, if never used before, will be initially daunting, as the developers have artificially incorporated some of the functionality supplied by Microsoft in the Foundation Classes using their own classes. However, once done, it's done. Moving forward, if Microsoft releases a new major upgrade to their classes, it might take recompiling the software and no significant programming. However you're already doing this every time Ivanti releases a version or service pack upgrade. So that shouldn't be a big deal.

I also understand how the enhancement decision process works, but you're spot on about one thing. I had forgotten about the social aspect. If enough support is garnered among the community, that will help push the request to the top of the pile.

It's been a great dialog and I appreciate your comments. Have a great day!

• 6. Re: Microsoft Foundation Classes

Happy to be of some use / help .