5 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2017 1:34 PM by Motaz

Xtraction Dashboard Parameters

Motaz ITSMMVPGroup

Dear Xtraction experts,

I would like to raise a discussion regarding Xtraction Parameters. Now I was asked if it possible to apply filters on Dashboards based on Parameters selection. This is needed as there is an attribute with more than 50 values (If not more) that we might need to filter against. I managed to apply this using Documents but I was asked if it is possible to apply the same into a whole dashboard that may have 4-5 charts.

If you have a solution or suggestion then please feel free to share it. Otherwise, I might be raising an Enhancement Request asking to add Parameters into Dashboards where we can filter against.

• 1. Re: Xtraction Dashboard Parameters
          Motaz ITSMMVPGroup

GreggSmith Any idea about this?

• 2. Re: Xtraction Dashboard Parameters
            GreggSmith SupportEmployee

Dashboards and Documents support Variables.  Reports are significantly different from Dashboards and Documents so their Parameter functionality is completely separate and not relevant to this conversation.

Under User Administration, you can create variables (we'll call these User Variables) that are associated with individual users.  As the administrator, you can decide which users have each variable and whether or not each user has the ability to edit their own value for that variable (or if an administrator must be the one to set/change the value).

In Documents, you can create variables (we'll call these Document Variables) that are only associated with that Document.

While building a Document, when you add a Variable Filter, you compare a field to the value found in a Variable.  Your choices of Variables include both User Variables and Document Variables.  When you view the Document, it will automatically apply the user's User Variable and prompt the user to select a value for the Document Variable(s) - hence, "Parameter selection".

While building a Dashboard, when you add a Variable Filter, you compare a field to the value found in a Variable.  Your choices of Variables include User Variables.  When you view the Dashboard, it will automatically apply the user's User Variable.

So, they key part of the above description, as it applies to your question, is that Dashboards do not currently support adding "Dashboard Variables", which would then act as a "Parameter selection", like the Document Variables do for Documents.  I do not see an existing enhancement request to add this functionality, so I would suggest submitting the idea and voting for it.

Thanks,

Gregg

• 3. Re: Xtraction Dashboard Parameters
              Motaz ITSMMVPGroup

I just tested it now and it works. But it is not what I am looking for specially that I am not being prompted to enter the value when I click any of the dashboards. I have to manually go and edit the value I want and then refresh the dashboard...

What I was looking for is like an icon to be next the filters and to select the variable value from there without the need to keep clicking things. Seems like an enhancement request is needed.

• 4. Re: Xtraction Dashboard Parameters
                GreggSmith SupportEmployee

Correct.  My last reply was describing all of the functionality and finally concluding that the specific scenario you wanted was not supported.  Of course, as you just tested, a User Variable that the user can change COULD simulate the process but is less than ideal.

Now, the other thing to remember is that dashboards have built-in filtering functionality.  So, say, for instance, you want the user to be able to filter the dashboard for a specific Ticket Assigned Group or Computer Manufacturer, etc.  Simply add a Group Component to the dashboard displaying the Assigned Groups/Manufacturers/etc. and then the user can click on one (or more) of those to filter the rest of the dashboard.

• 5. Re: Xtraction Dashboard Parameters
                  Motaz ITSMMVPGroup

This is one thing I didn't understand how to achieve. I have watched the e-learning videos but still I am not able to get it right.

How can I have a list of filters a user can choose from. Like if he clicks the filter icon on top of the dashboard he will get a list of these filters and when he selects one all of the components in the dashboards will be filtered accordingly?