2 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2017 3:12 AM by phoffmann

Patch: Restart or no restart

carlos Expert

LDMS 9.6 SP2

CSA

Hello, after testing the patch KB4012213 if I install this manually, it asks to restart the machine. If I push a repair task t does not.

Why? Do I need to send a restart task after patching?

Best

• 1. Re: Patch: Restart or no restart
          masterpetz ITSMMVPGroup

Hi Carlos,

it depends.

If a patch needs to replace a file that is currently in use by the system or an application, a reboot is needed. You can check this in the registry under the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

If there is a key named "PendingFileRenoameOperations" then a reboot is needed. If not, you don't need a reboot. You can install the patch through patch manager and check this registry key and you should check under Programs and Features if the patch was really installed. Just to be sure the tasks says indeed success but nothing really happened on the client...:-)

Regards

Christian

• 2. Re: Patch: Restart or no restart
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

Yerp - all to do with the "PendingFileRename" by and large.

That said, it's usually a good idea to "ask / force" a reboot anyway. That way, you can at least be sure that the devices will at least reboot 1x month (and flush out their PendingFileRename queue).

I've seen especially *cough* sales *cough* people with laptops that haven't seen a reboot in 6+ months (and then - marvel oh marvel - were causing problems left right & center).

1 of 1 people found this helpful