8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2017 8:14 AM by jerrod

MAC NETBOOT - Error loading kernel cache (0x17)

EMiranda Expert

just updated our server to 10.1 and in doing so I needed to setup a new PXE server.

My old PXE server could NETBOOT  a Mac without any issues but now I cant.

I created a new Netboot Image - it's built off of 10.12.5

At first I wasn't even seeing the Globe, but then I "blessed" the Netboot Image with the ip address of the PXE server. I was then able to see the Globe and choose it.  However it immediately goes into a kernel cache error: error loading kernel cache (0x17).  I can Netboot fine off the same Netboot image built via Removable Drive.

Any thoughts on this? not really a Mac expert so not sure how to troubleshoot other than butting the Mac in Verbose Boot mode. 

• 1. Re: MAC NETBOOT - Error loading kernel cache (0x17)
          Northice Expert

Where is your NBI being hosted? I've seen this and it has been related to a permissions error on the share. Try putting your NBI into the management suite/landesk/vboot/ folder and try again. If you still run into the same issue, you'll know it's related to your NBI, but I'd start with the share permissions.

• 2. Re: MAC NETBOOT - Error loading kernel cache (0x17)
            EMiranda Expert

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  all you had to say was permissions and that got me on the right track!  For some reason the MIME Type was missing.  I don't recall if we moved the NBI to a new folder that was setup or the upgrade process removed it.  Regardless, the MIME Type "." applications/octet-stream was missing and i added it back and now its working like a champ.  Thanks!

• 3. Re: MAC NETBOOT - Error loading kernel cache (0x17)
              jerrod Rookie

I am having a similar issue. We are using 2016.3 SU3. I've successfully used the stamped NBI on a Mac server, so I'm thinking it's permissions. I am able to select the NBI, but after a few seconds of loading, I receive an error. I think I have permissions set correctly on the share and I made sure to add the MIME type ".", but it keeps failing.

Does the PXE folder on the PXE representative need to certain permissions set, or is there a list of share permissions that are required to make this work?

• 4. Re: MAC NETBOOT - Error loading kernel cache (0x17)
                EMiranda Expert

jerrod wrote:

I am having a similar issue. We are using 2016.3 SU3. I've successfully used the stamped NBI on a Mac server, so I'm thinking it's permissions. I am able to select the NBI, but after a few seconds of loading, I receive an error. I think I have permissions set correctly on the share and I made sure to add the MIME type ".", but it keeps failing.

Does the PXE folder on the PXE representative need to certain permissions set, or is there a list of share permissions that are required to make this work?

did you "bless" the PXE server?  that is an important step that is often overlooked.

• 5. Re: MAC NETBOOT - Error loading kernel cache (0x17)
                  jerrod Rookie

Do you mean whitelisting the IP on the machine itself? Yes, I added it when it initially didn't work, but it didn't help. I also thought this only mattered if you were using the "bless" command to reboot to an NBI.   

Since 10.12.6 was released yesterday, I just created a new NBI. It works fine from our Mac server, but it still will not boot from our PXE server. 

• 6. Re: MAC NETBOOT - Error loading kernel cache (0x17)
                    jerrod Rookie

Between taking a picture during the netboot process and the information in the system report, I've included the output below. I gave full control to everything on the NetBoot share, so I'm guessing there's something setup wrong in IIS. We are on Windows Server 2012 R2. The MIME type "." is there, directory browsing is enabled, and anonymous authentication is enabled. I'm not sure what else I may be missing.

netboot: retrieving root path from BSDP response

netboot: HTTP URL http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/NetBoot/LANDESK Sierra NetBoot.nbi/NetInstall.dmg

netboot: nested image file:///BaseSystem.dmg

netboot_setup: calling imageboot_mount_image

IOHDIXController: NOTE: administrator is creating non-ejectable disk image

KDIFileBackingStore::_handleStart: initial R/W vn_open returned 2

KDIFileBackingStore::_handleStart: vn_open() returned 2

KDIFileBackingStore::_handleStart: res = 2

IOHDIXController::createDriveInKernel: returning error 0x2

IOHDIXController::_di_root_image: createDriveInKernel() returned 0x2 (2)

IOHDIXController::_di_root_image: returning 0x2 (2)

IOHDIXController::setProperty(di-root-image, http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/NetBoot/LANDESK Sierra NetBoot.nbi/NetInstall.dmg) failed.

di-root-image-result is 0x00000002/2

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff8011bff2cf): "imageboot_mount_image: di_root_image failed: 2\\n"@/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/xnu/xnu-3789.70.16/bsd/kern/imageboot.c:155

Debugger called: (panic)

Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address

0xffffff8086d2b690 : 0xffffff80116e953c

0xffffff8086d2b710 : 0xffffff8011bff2cf

0xffffff8086d2b750 : 0xffffff80118e3b20

0xffffff8086d2b770 : 0xffffff80118e3863

0xffffff8086d2b890 : 0xffffff801191536c

0xffffff8086d2ba30 : 0xffffff8011b35213

0xffffff8086d2bf90 : 0xffffff801170d469

0xffffff8086d2bfb0 : 0xffffff80116978f7

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

Boot args: root-dmg=file:///BaseSystem.dmg

Mac OS version:

Not yet set

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 16.7.0: Thu Jun 15 17:36:27 PDT 2017; root:xnu-3789.70.16~2/RELEASE_X86_64

Kernel UUID: D3314D98-5D40-3CD8-98A4-F1DD46C20E03

Kernel slide:     0x0000000011400000

Kernel text base: 0xffffff8011600000

__HIB  text base: 0xffffff8011500000

System model name: MacBookAir6,1 (Mac-35C1E88140C3E6CF)

System uptime in nanoseconds: 4898932034

• 7. Re: MAC NETBOOT - Error loading kernel cache (0x17)
                      EMiranda Expert

jerrod wrote:

Between taking a picture during the netboot process and the information in the system report, I've included the output below. I gave full control to everything on the NetBoot share, so I'm guessing there's something setup wrong in IIS. We are on Windows Server 2012 R2. The MIME type "." is there, directory browsing is enabled, and anonymous authentication is enabled. I'm not sure what else I may be missing.

netboot: retrieving root path from BSDP response

netboot: HTTP URL http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/NetBoot/LANDESK Sierra NetBoot.nbi/NetInstall.dmg

netboot: nested image file:///BaseSystem.dmg

netboot_setup: calling imageboot_mount_image

IOHDIXController: NOTE: administrator is creating non-ejectable disk image

KDIFileBackingStore::_handleStart: initial R/W vn_open returned 2

KDIFileBackingStore::_handleStart: vn_open() returned 2

KDIFileBackingStore::_handleStart: res = 2

IOHDIXController::createDriveInKernel: returning error 0x2

IOHDIXController::_di_root_image: createDriveInKernel() returned 0x2 (2)

IOHDIXController::_di_root_image: returning 0x2 (2)

IOHDIXController::setProperty(di-root-image, http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/NetBoot/LANDESK Sierra NetBoot.nbi/NetInstall.dmg) failed.

di-root-image-result is 0x00000002/2

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff8011bff2cf): "imageboot_mount_image: di_root_image failed: 2\\n"@/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/xnu/xnu-3789.70.16/bsd/kern/imageboot.c:155

Debugger called: (panic)

Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address

0xffffff8086d2b690 : 0xffffff80116e953c

0xffffff8086d2b710 : 0xffffff8011bff2cf

0xffffff8086d2b750 : 0xffffff80118e3b20

0xffffff8086d2b770 : 0xffffff80118e3863

0xffffff8086d2b890 : 0xffffff801191536c

0xffffff8086d2ba30 : 0xffffff8011b35213

0xffffff8086d2bf90 : 0xffffff801170d469

0xffffff8086d2bfb0 : 0xffffff80116978f7

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

Boot args: root-dmg=file:///BaseSystem.dmg

Mac OS version:

Not yet set

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 16.7.0: Thu Jun 15 17:36:27 PDT 2017; root:xnu-3789.70.16~2/RELEASE_X86_64

Kernel UUID: D3314D98-5D40-3CD8-98A4-F1DD46C20E03

Kernel slide: 0x0000000011400000

Kernel text base: 0xffffff8011600000

__HIB text base: 0xffffff8011500000

System model name: MacBookAir6,1 (Mac-35C1E88140C3E6CF)

System uptime in nanoseconds: 4898932034

Sorry, wish I was a Mac expert but I am just diving into this so it has been posing challenging for me as well. One thing that is different on our end and your end is we do not have any spaces in our http path.  I don't know if that will make a difference, but worth a shot.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: MAC NETBOOT - Error loading kernel cache (0x17)
                        jerrod Rookie

EMiranda wrote:

Sorry, wish I was a Mac expert but I am just diving into this so it has been posing challenging for me as well. One thing that is different on our end and your end is we do not have any spaces in our http path. I don't know if that will make a difference, but worth a shot.

That did it! I was stuck on the fact that it worked fine on our Mac server with the spaces, so it didn't cross my mind. I also have plenty of Mac packages with spaces in their names which never have any issues downloading. I'm not sure what takes care replacing the space with "%20", but the Mac server replaces them properly. I guess it's best practice to just not use them in URLs if possible.