I'm experiencing a bit of a headache with provisioning. Any new templates I create will not carry on past the CTOS step. This seems to be since we updated our core with SU3 on the 8th of this month. Did know it was happening until very recently.
When I create a new template, I usually just copy one of my previous ones and make changes to it or I create a new one but replicate all the steps making changes where needed. This has always worked for me. Now any new templates I make whether from scratch or by copying a previous one fails to carry on when the computer boots into windows after the Inject LANDesk Provisioning-Agent.
We haven't changed anything else, only done this update (Too my knowledge).
I know the problem is not with the image as it is happening with any image I chuck in a template, even a standard windows 7 wim fresh from Microsoft. Also, all our current existing templates are working fine. I'm really scratching my head with this one. I have tried all of the following.
- Recreated the boot.wim from the clean copy.
- Edited the boot.wim corename.txt file to have FQDN
- I have gone through this article: How to troubleshoot the Configure Target OS (CTOS) Action in Provisioning Templates
Windows 7, 8, 2008, 2012
- Change to C:\ldprovisioning directory. Verify the ldprovisioning.cmd is in the folder and the folder is populated. It should contain over 20 files.
- Verify that the unattend.xml exists in C:\Windows\Panther
- Verify that the commands calling ldprovisioning.cmd exist in the unattend.xml for the platform (x86, amd64, ia64) you have deployed.
- C:\ldprovisioning gets created on the device
- Unattend.xml gets copied - Either to C:\ or C:\Windows\Panther - depending on the template I'm testing.
- There are no commands in the unattend.xml for ldprovisioning. See below *
- I have gone through this article - https://community.ivanti.com/docs/47184 and none of this applies or is the problem
One thing I have spotted in the ldProvision log is this :-
2017-06-20 11:33:16(2504-2508) ldProvision.exe:Create process (C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\Shared Files\httpclient.exe) with args ( -f "C:\ldprovisioning\WaitHandler.sig" http://<CORE>/LdLogon/Provisioning/windows/WaitHandler.sig)
2017-06-20 11:33:16(2504-2508) ldProvision.exe:Waiting for process result: 0.
2017-06-20 11:33:16(2504-2508) ldProvision.exe:Process exit code:-1
2017-06-20 11:33:16(2504-2508) ldProvision.exe:Failed to download (C:\ldprovisioning\WaitHandler.sig)
I also noticed, on our core in the folder http://<CORE>/LdLogon/Provisioning/windows/ there is no WaitHandler.sig and in another log I spotted the same thing for ConfigTargetOSHandler.sig which doesn't exist. Maybe it it these missing files???
* I don't see any of this in the unattend.xml
Windows 7, 8, 2008, 2012
Sections are added to the unattend.xml in the Specialize section. This is a special section of the unattend.xml that can also be used for things like setting the home page for Internet Explorer, etc. In this section, the RunSynchronousCommand action is added calling ldprovisioning.cmd from C:\ldprovisioning\. The section of the unattend will look roughly like the following:
<settings pass="specialize" xmlns="" wasPassProcessed="true">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Deployment" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<Description>LANDesk Provisioning Install</Description>
<Path>cmd /c %systemdrive%\ldprovisioning\ldprovisioning.cmd</Path>
I am at a complete loss now.
Oh and to top that. Our current template although is working is causing duplicate entries in our database which I'm sure it wasn't doing before the update. I can't be sure because only by creating a new template to deploy a new image can I test to fix the issue... which I can't do because new templates don't work. Our Inventory Service on the core is set up to deal with duplicate entries, we haven't changed anything there so It looks like that isn't working either.