2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2017 2:44 AM by phoffmann

Spyware  Status is disappearing from machines

sharon0425 Rookie

A month ago, LANDesk Spyware scan detected "High Priority" spyware on 173 different machines.  Now, if I go into Patch and Compliance - Spyware (all items), I only see "High Priority" spyware on 2 different machines.  We do not have auto-fix enabled, and we have done nothing to remediate these machines.  How did 171 machines become "clean" when we did nothing to resolve them?  Has anyone else seen this happen?

• 1. Re: Spyware  Status is disappearing from machines
          Jharris3400 Apprentice

To add to this, SU3 was recently applied.

• 2. Re: Spyware  Status is disappearing from machines
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

That'll get a bit difficult to check (given that the time period is a month+) but here's a few possibile candidates in a stream of thought listing:

• Someone decided to move all the spyware stuff into "do not scan" (which shouldn't make any current results go "poof" - but bear with me, it's part of the picture).
            • Someone THEN decided to clear the Core-side vulnerability results and re-ran the vulnerability scanner. This would be one way to get to the the combination of "don't scan for spyware ++ 0 data on the Core == I know of no spyware on this device".

• Trawling through your vulnerability agent scanning settings may help paint a better picture (the above scenario of "Clear Core-side results + rescan" also works if someone disabled the "Scan for spyware" category).

• The "Clear Core-side information" can be run either on the client ("vulscan /clear") or on the Core (there's a button) ... so maybe as part of a support call, the vulnerability data got cleared out? (It's a common troubleshooting step when vulscan data seems to get out of synch -- you wipe out both the Core & Client side caches/data & re-scan from zilch in essence. It's the equivalent of forcing a re-sync between them).

... there's really quite a few legitimate and/or "whoops - unintentional" ways that this may have happened (not to mention less than unintentional but I'd be surprised if some malicious actor would care about falsifying spyware numbers). Checking through config can help quite a bit here -- but all I can do is give you example breadcrumbs to look for.

Unless you've got auditing enabled, this will be a case of "checking logs" -- and since many places do a daily vulscan, and our default number of backup logs is 3 on the client ... that's not sounding like it'll give you a lot.

Hope that this helps you guys a bit?

... as an aside -- you've found 173 devices infected with "high priority" spyware/malware items & this didn't cause concern / actions ...?