5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2008 2:02 PM by Jared Barneck

LANDesk Inventory Does Not Show Firewire Ports???

Apprentice

I have tried to run a query on an PC which has a firewire port.  But under the Ports\Firewire section of the inventory, the only devices that have ANY information about the Firewire port are Macs.

I have searched the entire inventory of my test HP laptop which has a firewire port enabled, but there is no information recorded in the DB for any devices.

Can anyone enlighten me?

• 1. Re: LANDesk Inventory Does Not Show Firewire Ports???
          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Mike,

Search for 1394 Net Adaptors - these are firewire ports.

Mark Star - MarXtar LANDesk Enhancements

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk

• 2. Re: LANDesk Inventory Does Not Show Firewire Ports???
            Apprentice

Thanks Mark - But we disable Firewire ports in our desktop machines for security reasons so the network adapters don't show up.

So are you confirming my suspicion that LANDesk does not show whether a PC has a Firewire controller???  That's a bit poor.

• 3. Re: LANDesk Inventory Does Not Show Firewire Ports???
              Employee

I'm sorry, you're complaining that we don't show you hardware that you've disabled? I must not be reading that one right... or maybe the complaint is that your hardware manufacturer really disables it when you change that setting instead of just partially disabling it?

• 4. Re: LANDesk Inventory Does Not Show Firewire Ports???
                Apprentice

Sorry Jack, I don't get your point?   Just because a device is disabled in Windows, i would not expect it to be hidden from the LANDesk inventory.  Does it??

So for all our laptops that presently have the wireless adapter disabled, does that mean that we cannot tell which model adapter it has installed for future use of Wireless networks?  For all machines that have the serial port disabled in windows, we cannot tell if it can use a serial device etc. etc.?

The Firewire port and the firewire network adapter are NOT the same thing, therefore i would have expected BOTH to be listed in the inventory.

If you disable your 1394 port in device manager, then the network adapter disappears, so it would NOT show up in landesk and therefore we cannot query for its existence.  But i would still expect LANDesk to detect the disabled Firewire controller, which it does not appear capable of.

Sorry - Have I explained better now?  I am not going mad, this appears to me to be a legitimate shortcoming of LANDesk.

• 5. Re: LANDesk Inventory Does Not Show Firewire Ports???
                  Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

Try this.

1. Get on a client with the IEEE 1394 interface that is disabled.

2. Open the following file with notepad.

c:\program files\landesk\ldclient\data\invdelta.dat

This is the client sides full scan file in text format.

3. Search for IEEE or search for 1394.

Does it show up anywhere?