1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2009 4:38 PM by Tom Farrugia

Problem Deploying Sysprep-ed Image - Target Machines Reboot and Then Freeze

Apprentice

We've been successful in the past deploying Windows XP, following guidelines in the Hardware Independant Imaging Toolkit. Recently we've tried adding some new Lenovo T500 and SL500 laptops and we're having a lot of problems.

We can boot successfully with WinPE and our OSD script seems to run OK. The image deployment task is completed with a result of success. When the target machine reboots it goes through POST and then just freezes with a completely blank screen. If I reboot back into Win-PE I can see that our customized SYSPREP.INF file has been copied in to the C: drive. Our driver library is also copied in. If I boot back to the C: drive, interupt the Windows XP boot sequence (F8), and select "Safe Mode" the system seems to hang when loading "\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\AGRSM.SYS". I think this is a driver file for the laptop's built in modem.

Any idea why these laptops won't reboot and run SYSPREP?

• 1. Re: Problem Deploying Sysprep-ed Image - Target Machines Reboot and Then Freeze
          Apprentice

Further to my original post - I just re-imaged an older model laptop to verify that I haven't completely broken the process somehow. Imaging works fine on the previous model - same XP image, same SYSPREP.INF file, same Win-PE Imaging Script - so it's just the new Lenovo T500 and SL500's that fail to run SYSPREP after reboot.

One other thing - after reimaging the older laptop I tried rebooting in safe mode. I watched the device drivers load and it paused for a while on the same "AGRSM.SYS" file. But on this machine I could still see disk activity and then XP booted into safe mode. So it looks like my new laptops are not freezing when trying to load AGRSM.SYS - they are freezing when they try to do whatever happens after that.

• 2. Re: Problem Deploying Sysprep-ed Image - Target Machines Reboot and Then Freeze
            Apprentice

Still haven't solved this, but thought I'd add the following...

Based on information in these forums I suspect that my problem is with HAL detection - at least that seems to be the case with the Lenovo T500's and possibly with the SL500's. (A black screen on reboot is apparently a typical symptom of incorrect HAL loaded.) Further evidence that my problem is with HAL and not with Mass storage drivers - both the T500 and the SL500 are attempting to boot Windows XP after imaging, and both can partially load Windows and offer the "Safe Mode" boot, so the Mass Storage drivers for the SATA controller must have loaded correctly.

As for solving the HAL detection problem - building my XP image I had followed guidelines in the "HII Toolkit" to force the reference machine to use

"Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC". The HII document states that this is a base HAL, compatible with most modern computers and that SYSPREP has a mechanism to update the HAL on target computers. In my case, SYSPREP does not seem to be updating the HAL, even though my SYSPREP.INF files seem to be getting the correct update code. (The code is inserted from "UpdateHal.vbs" - a utility script provided with the HII Toolkit.)

The HII document cautions that the ACPI PC HAL is "widely reported that halacpi.dll works on "all" desktop and laptop computers (except very old ones)". I'm beginning to suspect that my new Lenovo laptops fall into the exception category of unusual machines that are not compatible with the base HAL. To test this theory I followed guidelines in the HII document to boot a freshly imaged T500 into WinPE and then manually copy the HAL files. When I did that the T500 booted correctly.

I will not be a happy camper if I have to maintain a separate XP image for these new Lenovo laptops.

Jayson

• 3. Re: Problem Deploying Sysprep-ed Image - Target Machines Reboot and Then Freeze
              Apprentice

Did you change the ATA/AHCI settings in BIOS of the target machine?

I know at least for "modern" Dell systems, I can't image them unless I do that. Otherwise I get what you describe too.

• 4. Re: Problem Deploying Sysprep-ed Image - Target Machines Reboot and Then Freeze
                Apprentice

Thanks for the reply Dicipulus. Yes, we have found it necessary in the past to adjust those BIOS settings on some of our Lenovo systems. I've always hated doing that because it's one more manual process. We're trying to automate our deployments as much as possible and the new HII Toolkit has worked well for us in that respect, until now. (If you haven't checked in to the latest version of the HII Toolkit I think you'd find it's worth a look. It provides some very useful strategies for dealing with differences in mass storage controllers and you might find you can get away from adjusting the BIOS on those Dell machines.)

In this case I'm pretty sure I've isolated the problem to HAL detection, not mass storage drivers, so I don't think that flipping the ATA/AHCI setting in BIOS will clear it up. Right now I'm playing with some modifications to the "UpdateHal.vbs" script, trying to get it to copy the three files that this particular model of laptop requires. When I copy the three files manually the laptop boots correctly, so I'm just trying to add this step to the deployment script. I'm planning to post the results back to this thread. Wish me luck - I'm no expert in Visual Basic scripting!

Jayson

• 5. Re: Problem Deploying Sysprep-ed Image - Target Machines Reboot and Then Freeze
                  phoffmann SupportEmployee

Hmm - potentially there's another way for you to work this (if you don't like to use VBS)

Assuming that these laptopts exist in the database, you could create a "laptopttype.txt" file, through something simple as:

REMEXECxx=cmd /c echo %COMPUTER - SYSTEM - MODEL% > laptopttype.txt

Or something to this effect (this assumes of course that those devices sent in a full inventory) -- since you're using OSD and thus running CUSTJOB, you may as well benefit from the inventory information. That way your batch file could simply check this file for "your tricky hardware" and then copy down & inject the files into the image once it's done. On hardware that's "not difficult", it would simply do nothing.

Does this make sense to you?

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 6. Re: Problem Deploying Sysprep-ed Image - Target Machines Reboot and Then Freeze
                    Apprentice

I am interested in learning what you are refering to in terms of the HII Toolkit. A google search (oddly) brought of this very thread (kinda like looking in a mirror that is in front of a mirrorand seeing the mirror, and you in the mirror, looking back.....etc) However I also found this :

http://www.altirigos.com/vbulletin/deployment-server/8139-hii-tools.html

I had tried to make a HII image in the past from the BKP, and almost got it working. I'd be interested in revisiting this for sure

• 7. Re: Problem Deploying Sysprep-ed Image - Target Machines Reboot and Then Freeze
                      phoffmann SupportEmployee

Check this out:

http://www.droppedpackets.org/Members/jbuelens/hii-winpe.zip/view

Generally, you may want to add droppedpackets to your favourites. A lot of good to be had from that side :).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 8. Re: Problem Deploying Sysprep-ed Image - Target Machines Reboot and Then Freeze
                        Apprentice

Finally got our images to work on the Lenovo T500 and SL500, and after some testing I'd say our workaround might be useful for others - especially if they're implementing the processes described in the "Hardware Independent Imaging (HII) Toolkit".

Our problem with the new Lenovo's turned out to be HAL incompatibility. We had built our reference XP image on a machine that had been forced to use the base HAL "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC" . The HII documentation states that this HAL is generally believed to be compatible with most modern uni-processor and multi-processor PC's. We then used the script "updateHal.vbs" to detect the correct HAL during PE Boot on machines where we wanted to deploy the image. We found that the VBS script would detect the HAL correctly during PE boot, and would write the correct lines to our SYSPREP.INF file, but when the target machine attempted to reboot to the Windows XP environment it seemed that SYSPREP would never get a chance to run. I think this was happening because the Lenovo laptops were in the category of machines that are not compatible with the ACPI HAL. Our solution to this problem was to modify the "UdateHAL.vbs" script, so that in addition to detecting the HAL and modifying SYSPREP.INF, it also copied the correct files into "%windir%\System32" for whichever HAL it detected.

I've attached a copy of "UpdateHAL.vbs" with our modifications for anyone else who might need to deal with incompatible HAL's. Note that my script modifications make the assumption that source DLL's for the various HAL's can be found in "c:\windows\ServicePackFiles". You may need to modify the script if your XP image has the source files in a different location. If you are trying to implement this solution I'd highly recommend that you download and study Jan Buelens' "Hardware Independant Imaging Toolkit". It's available here on the Dropped Packets web site. (Dropped Packets is also a highly recommended resource.)

• 9. Re: Problem Deploying Sysprep-ed Image - Target Machines Reboot and Then Freeze
                          Rookie

Great work Jayson. We also use HII and landesk provisioning. I thought I was in for a lot of work when I couldn't stage our new T400's, but thanks to your script I was able to get back on track with little re-configuration. Cheers......

• 10. Re: Problem Deploying Sysprep-ed Image - Target Machines Reboot and Then Freeze
                            Rookie

Hello,

We are trying to boot the new Lenovo T500 (Type 2243) with our Landesk PXE system (Landesk Management suite 8.8).

Ou system is working and we don't have problem to image some other model.

I tried Dos Menu: It seems that the drive is missing (Mass storage driver problem?). I can't find the dos SATA driver.

I tried WinPe Menu: After changing the ATA/AHCI setting in the laptop bios, the drive is visible by the script (Disk 0 ok)

BUT: I can't find wich driver to add for the NIC to work.

I tried several driver (The intel one, the Lenovo's one), but no one seems to work. The DOS window is loading in WinPe and stop with

this last message:

Waiting for IP adress.....

The network adapter driver was not found.

My question is: Could someone tell me about wich NIC driver to add in Ldvpe1.img for the T500 to work?

Kind regards

[email protected]

• 11. Re: Problem Deploying Sysprep-ed Image - Target Machines Reboot and Then Freeze
                              Apprentice

The symptoms you report are consistent with a WinPE image that does not have drivers for the NIC. The "Hardware Independent Imaging Toolkit" has a great section on how to determine which drivers are required for various types of hardware - particularly NIC's and mass storage controllers. Check it out at  http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2714 .

To answer your specific question though - looking at my notes we ended up adding the following NIC driver for our T500's...

Device: Intel® 82567LM Gigabit Network

Driver File (downloaded from Lenovo site): 7vra15ww.exe Driver Version: 9.52.9.0 (Build 170330)

Procedure: Expand the EXE archive and add the necessary files to your PE image.

Hope that helps! I can send you a list of exactly which files from the downloaded archive we added to the image if you like.

By the way, if you add a driver for your SATA controller to the WinPE image, then I think you won't have to change the BIOS setting.

Jayson

• 12. Re: Problem Deploying Sysprep-ed Image - Target Machines Reboot and Then Freeze
                                Rookie

Thanks for your advices.

It worked ! I added this files to the winPE image:

e1y5132.inf

e1y5132.sys

e1y5132.cat

e1000msg.dll

e1y5132.din

nicco2.dll

nicinstQ.dll

Then I saved ldvpe1.img and re-deploy the PXE representative.

The new Lenovo T500 booted on PXE and was imaged perfectly.

The 3 next files was missing at our first attempt : e1000msg.dll , nicco2.dll , nicinstQ.dll

That's why I think, I was'nt able to make it boot on PXE.

Kind regards

[email protected]

• 13. Re: Problem Deploying Sysprep-ed Image - Target Machines Reboot and Then Freeze
                                  ThomasCollignon Apprentice
                                  Hi Dojo420,
                                  I have this problem with my Lenovo T400...
                                  I tried the update of "UpdateHAL.vbs", the system freezes, but now I get an error with a blue screen ...
                                  Obviously, you have found a trick for the T400 with an image HII?
                                  I would be interested to know your solution.
                                  Thank you,
                                  Regards,
                                  Thomas.
                                  • 14. Re: Problem Deploying Sysprep-ed Image - Target Machines Reboot and Then Freeze
                                    Employee

Mass storage drivers perhaps?

Symptom would be client reboots but before you see any sign of mini-setup, you get a blue screen code 7B (inaccessible boot device).

1 2 Previous Next