4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2008 10:24 AM by LBox

Picking up managed devices that are connected via VPN

Rookie

Hi People,

I'm a bit of a newbie to the Landesk world and could do with some help advising me how i can pick up managed devices that are connected to our network via VPN.

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Regards Lee.

• 1. Re: Picking up managed devices that are connected via VPN
          Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

What do you mean? Are they already agents? Or are you trying to scan them with UDD?

One of the problems with UDD is that a lot of VPN virtual network devices use the same MAC Address so our process of only added a device if the MAC Address is unique may fail.  I haven't figured out if the VPN Mac Addresses are the same because the software was installed on an image and then the image was laid down on all you machines, or if the VPN software just often uses the same MACs.

If you do a SQL Trace during a UDD scan, you will see the following:

Query to Detect if an Unmanaged Node is Already in the Database as a Managed Node

SELECT DISTINCT Computer.Computer_Idn FROM Computer, TCP, BoundAdapter WITH (NOLOCK) WHERE Computer.Computer_Idn = TCP.Computer_Idn and

Computer.Computer_Idn = BoundAdapter.Computer_Idn and (UPPER(BoundAdapter.PhysAddress) = '0015608AF577' )

Queries to Detect if an Unmanaged Node is Already in the Database as an Unmanged Node

SELECT UNMANAGEDNODES_IDN, PHYSADDRESS, NODENAME, IPADDRESS, IPMIGUID FROM UNMANAGEDNODES WHERE IPMIGUID IS NOT NULL AND IPMIGUID <> '' AND

(PHYSADDRESS IS NULL OR PHYSADDRESS = '') AND (NODENAME IS NULL OR NODENAME = '') AND IPADDRESS = '172.031.003.135'

SELECT UNMANAGEDNODES_IDN, PHYSADDRESS, NODENAME, IPADDRESS, CMMGUID FROM UNMANAGEDNODES WHERE CMMGUID IS NOT NULL AND CMMGUID <> '' AND

(PHYSADDRESS IS NULL OR PHYSADDRESS = '') AND (NODENAME IS NULL OR NODENAME = '') AND IPADDRESS = '172.031.003.135'

exec sp_executesql N'SELECT DISTINCT U.UNMANAGEDNODES_IDN FROM UNMANAGEDNODES U WHERE UPPER(U.PHYSADDRESS) = @P1',N'@P1

nvarchar(12)',N'0015608AF577'

exec sp_executesql N'SELECT DISTINCT U.UNMANAGEDNODES_IDN FROM UNMANAGEDNODES U WHERE UPPER(U.NODENAME) = @P1',N'@P1 nvarchar(5)',N'NEWPC'

Query to Insert an Unmanaged Node into the Database

insert into UnmanagedNodes (Nodename, IPAddress, PhysAddress, Subnetmask, OSName, CBAPresent, CurrentUser, WorkGroup, DeviceGroupInfo_IDN,

FirstScanTime, LastScanTime, Numberofscan, IPMIGUID, CMMGUID, CmmSnmpPort, CmmSlimPort, AMT) values ('NEWPC', '172.031.003.135',

'0015608AF577', '255.255.255.000', 'UNKNOWN', 'N', '', 'WORKGROUP', 1, {ts '2008-10-01 09:35:18'}, {ts '2008-10-01 09:35:18'}, 1, '', '', -1,

-1, 'False')

• 2. Re: Picking up managed devices that are connected via VPN
            Rookie

Hi Rhyous,

Thanks for your reply to my problem, i have managed to get Landesk to pick up the PC in question which already had a Landesk 8.8 agent loaded on. I did this by telling my VPN connection to use a specific IP address supplied by our Network Team.

Many thanks Lee.

• 3. Re: Picking up managed devices that are connected via VPN
              Rookie

you need to put a static ip address in your vpn this will slove your problem

• 4. Re: Picking up managed devices that are connected via VPN
                Rookie

Thankyou for that update Neale but i think you will find that i had already posted that fix previously NOW get back to work and stop trying to score easy points on LANDesk Community.