2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2008 4:09 AM by nd89

cannot complete the requested action. The device must be rebooted first

Rookie

Hello,

I've this error when I try to patch some computers with the LANDesk antispyware (see the attached file).

I try to reboot them and try again the task, but it returns this error again.

Someone could help me to understand why theses anti-spyare task can patch some computer and can fail in the others?

Thank you for your help

Nicolas

• 1. Re: cannot complete the requested action. The device must be rebooted first
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

It depends on where the spyware resides.

Some spyware WILL require a bit more (manual) effort to get cleaned out - such as booting up in safe mode and/or disabling Microsoft Restore Points (Restore Points cause AV's a lot of headaches to try and clean out a virus from as well). So it would depend on where this specific spyware is hiding in.

Generally, "most" spyware can be cleaned out pretty stright forward, but the more sophisticated stuff can get pretty clever about trying to ensure its "survival" so to speak.

And then you've got fun stuff like "root kits" as well - so its' all to do with various degree of sophistication. Some of them will make you jump through a fair few hoops before being able to be rid of them. As much as we (and any other "cleaning" vendor out there) would love to have a "one magic wand fits all" approach to cleaning this crap out from clients, the sad reality is that while this works for a high % of spyware, the sophisticated stuff is ... very regrettably intelligent and needs more work.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 2. Re: cannot complete the requested action. The device must be rebooted first
            Rookie

ok, thank you very much for this "lesson" on the anti-spyware behavior in general.

So, for the spyware that can't be patch by LANDesk, I'll have to do this manually.

Have a good day and , an another one, thank you.

Nicolas Delamotte