5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2008 8:41 AM by phoffmann

Installing MSI files

Apprentice

As a newbie to software deployment

I have downloaded and used the repackager tool from appdeploy which creates a MSI form an .exe (network monitoring tool )

based on a snapshot

everything works fine and i can use this MSI to install the app .. But when i try to use landesk to install this the task completes but nothing is installed ?

where is the default location for installed MSI packages to clients ?

Do i need to add any additional steps for the MSI to run automatically ?

Many thanks

• 1. Re: Installing MSI files
          ahe Expert

Hello,

some more informations could be helpful...

• LANDesk version and ServicePack version.
          • Destination OS (on which OS you want to install the application)
          • Your used successful command line of the msi
          • Do you create a MSI Distribution Package (DP) to start it from LAN or did you create a EXE DP or a Managed Script...

Did you test your command line with the Local System account too? s. http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2316

The default store folder for MSI files depends on your OS, the path for XP is here: C:\WINDOWS\Installer

Check the eventlog for the last MsiInstaller installation entry...

Regards

Axel

• 2. Re: Installing MSI files
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

Just to add a few words of explanation - the reason why AHE recommended to check out the Local System thing -- *some* packages REQUIRE full on Local Admin permissions to install. Personally, I've run into some AutoCAD programs with this ...

Note a few useful log-files for you...

Log-files for software distribution (client-side) can be found in two places:

* C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\
            ==> SDCLIENT.LOG

* C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\Data\
            => SDCLIENT.LOG
            => SDCLIENT_TASK##.log

In this case, particularly the SDCLIENT_TASK##.log (where ## == the number/TASK_IDN of the task in the database's "LD_TASK" table) will be useful and tell you where the client has downloaded his files from (i.e. what peer / which preferred package server).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 3. Re: Installing MSI files

Apologies for the multiple posts (I've deleted the extras) -- some problem with my FF it seems...

• 4. Re: Installing MSI files
                Apprentice

Thanks for the reply guys .. I guess my real question is i can create a .exe using the snapshot proccess and create a task for this

and this will run and install automatically i am guessing because this is a .exe

When i create the MSI what else do i need to do for this to run automatically like the .exe would

ie. do i need to put a comand line into the proerties of the distribution package ?

If so what command do i need to include ? And is this the same for every MSI i have created using the repackger proccess

Many thanks

• 5. Re: Installing MSI files

The answer here is "sort of / it depends".

Some MSI's - (I seem to have a simplistic Solitaire MSI somewhere) - are quite happy being snap-shotted.

Others - such as MS Office - do NOT react well at all to it.

You may be able to find more information to your specific software on http://www.appdeploy.com (along with help on how to get it out / automate it) ... this is very much a "answer varies by package involved" situation, since it depends on how complex it is, and how sensitive it is.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead