4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2008 11:30 AM by Spartan

Scheduled tasks and LDAP Targets

Spartan Apprentice

Good day,

We are in a 1 to 1 school environment and therefore face some of the following software deployment challenges:

- Disconnections from the network during deployment (Due to roaming during class changes etc.) 

- When a machine requires servicing students get a loaner machine (which has it's own machine name).

- Along with other challenges that stem from putting a laptop in a student hands.

Overall things are going well.

Most of our deployments are Policy based pushes targeted via an LDAP query.

The logic being that if a student logs into a loaner machine all of the software they need will load when the machine does a policy check. This should also allow other support staff to add/remove students in AD group and have software magically end or vanish from student/teacher machines.

I have set the policy update to every 2 hours with a random delay of 1 hour to try and keep the machine updated as quickly as possible.

I choose not to update on login to avoid having machine bog down when they login.

I have two questions:

The first might be resolved by following directions in How to set up and configure policies to use LDAP Groups or LDAP Containers which I just read and confirmed that “DisabledLdapGroupEnumeration is set to 1”

But I’m being rushed to get this working so I wanted to make sure I was on the right track.

Initially my Policy based push which targets an LDAP query works great. But over time if a student gets a loaner or has their machine imaged it seems like I need to restart the task to get the software pushed out.

Perhaps the info in How to set up and configure policies to use LDAP Groups or LDAP Containers will fix this issue or did I need to do something else like set these task to repeat every day?

I was under the impression these query's updated automatically.

Second question is about the speed of items pushed out via deployment portal.

I have tried the following settings in my method but it still crawls.

Network Usage > Use DL from source to deploy files.

Network Usage > Bandwidth > Nothing is checked

Network Usage > Download > Nothing is checked and the timing is set to 0 in both.

Any suggestions?

I’m running 8.8 SP2 BTW.

-Thank you,

• 1. Re: Scheduled tasks and LDAP Targets
          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Since you are running 8.8 SP2, take a look at the LaunchPad.  It is really designed to do the sort of activity you are describing.  normal software distribution isn't really designed to immediately deliver apps if a new user logs in because when it did this in the past too many people complained that it affected them because of bandwidth and startup times.

launchpad presents the list of links, apps, etc for the user logged in so that they launch what they want from there rather than from the start menu.  With normal apps this means that you could install on first use or if you invest in application virtualisation you could remove the need to install most apps entirely and simply have them run streamed.

Investigate LaunchPad (if you can't see it, make sure that LANDesk have enabled the license for you). it might simplify things for you.

Mark Star - MarXtar LANDesk Enhancements

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk (New Version!)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Scheduled tasks and LDAP Targets
            Spartan Apprentice

Thanks for the quick reply,

I have looked into “Launch Pad” but unfortunately we do not have Virtualized Applications as of yet.

Most of our apps are rather large so deploying on demand might cause some issues.

Mostly because our user base wants instant gratification (Ah, Kid’s these days... Then again teachers are much worse).

I don't necessarily need the software to load upon the first login just within the first day or two (as most of the core software is loaded when we provision the unit).

Your advise is noted and much appreciated!

Am I right an assuming my tasks “should” just update themselves as users are added or removed from the targeted AD group or should I be doing something special when setting them up?

• 3. Re: Scheduled tasks and LDAP Targets
              MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Yes, you are right that the target list will automatically update.  The frequency is set in Configure Services on your Core's console. generally this is set to once per hour.

Mark Star - MarXtar LANDesk Enhancements

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk

• 4. Re: Scheduled tasks and LDAP Targets
                Spartan Apprentice

Thanks for your help/confirmation MarXtar,