6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2008 9:14 AM by puercomal

Tablet removing it's own INV record

Silvercoupe Apprentice

Good morning,

My supervisor's tablet connects to our CORE through VPN regularly and also connects through our Management Gateway on occasion.  At least 5 times now that I know of, the record gets wiped from the inventory database.  Eventually, when the tablet is connected long enough, another record is generated but it's a new record.  We do not re-use inventory records.

Anyone know what might be causing this tablet to remove its own record from the DB?  It almost seems like it sends a bad inventory scan, but usually when I see that happen the record isn't removed it's just missing some data.  Basically, this machine is in the database sometimes and other times it's not.  I don't see this happening on any other laptops, but then again I'm not watching any other laptops besides this one.

Any help or troubleshooting tips would be appreciated.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Tablet removing it's own INV record
          Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

What is the "ID" in Inventory.  Not the Device ID (the big long GUID), but just the ID (a decimal number).  This value is is the Computer_IDn in the database.

Create a Query by "ID" for that exact ID number.

When the Device Disappears.  Run the query and see what it shows you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tablet removing it's own INV record
            MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

You will probably find that it is the VPN.  I'm betting you have duplicate deletion switched on to delete anything with duplicate MAC addresses but that your VPN is giving duplicate MAC addresses when clients connect.  There's probably a number of devices affected by this.  You have two choices; turn off duplicate deletion by MAC and stay with name only, or modify your VPN to give unique addresses (if possible).

Easiest way to check is to force your boss's PC to send a scan when connected on VPN, make sure it is in the DB, and then do a query again the MAC address(es) in the inventory record.  See if you get duplicates showing.

Mark Star - MarXtar LANDesk Enhancements

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk

• 3. Re: Tablet removing it's own INV record
              Silvercoupe Apprentice

That's what I've been thinking, but I have some questions.  I have the Inventory Scanner set up to remove devices only when MAC addresses match, not Device Names.  I figure this is best since machines get re-imaged and I want a new record to be created every time.  I also do NOT restore old device IDs.

1.  When does the DB detect a duplicate MAC?  Is this done during DB maintenance or is it done as each Inv scan is received by the CORE?

2.  Why would the record be deleted?  Based on the way I have duplicates configured, if she connected via VPN and had a different MAC shouldn't there be 2 records in the DB?  One for her normal record and one for the record generated through the VPN?

• 4. Re: Tablet removing it's own INV record
                MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

You're getting a bit confused about how LANDesk identifies the machines in the database.  The MAC isn't the unique identifier, nor is it the cause of duplicates.  Each machine has a unique ID created when the inventory scanner first runs, this is what is used to uniquely identify systems.  If a machine scans into the db but with a different MAC address, this doesn't matter as it simply updates the DB with the new MAC address, in effect overwriting the old one.

The duplicates here are not really machine duplicates because of the way the VPN is working.  MAC addresses being the same would normally indicate the situation that could happen in your environment.  the machine is rebuilt and it gets a brand new unique ID because you don't transfer over the old one; this means that you will have two records for the same machine.  Two options exist to clean up this situation, find DB records that have the same Device name (machine name) and delete the oldest record (valid if you tend to rebuild machines and give them the same name they used to have), or find the DB records that have the same MAC address (since it's highly unlikely that you changed the network card at the same time as rebuilding the OS); again the oldest of the two is deleted.

However, in your situation, the duplicate MAC address is not being created by the system being rebuilt, it is being created because your VPN is giving the same MAC address to each machine that connects via it and that is updating that machine's DB record.  So when your duplicate check runs (nightly as part of the inventory maintenance) it deletes all but the most recent DB record of all machines that have the same MAC address. So your VPN causes valid machines to get deleted.

If this is a big enough impact you need to turn off MAC duplicate.  If you do rebuild machines and give them the same names then switch that on instead so that only machines with the same Device Name get deleted.

Hope this helps explain it.

Mark Star - MarXtar LANDesk Enhancements

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk

• 5. Re: Tablet removing it's own INV record
                  Silvercoupe Apprentice

It turned out to be the VPN after all.  I verified that every machine that connects via VPN is connecting using the same "virtual" MAC.  During DB maintenance, all but the most recent are being removed nightly.  This is really unfortunate because I'll never convince Security to modify the VPN install, even if a change could be made to generate a random MAC each connection.

I guess I'll have to switch to DEVICE NAME then.  Thanks for your help.

• 6. Re: Tablet removing it's own INV record

Try "System"."Serial Number" -- if your hardware is in reasonable shape, it should work better than MAC address anyway.

MAC addresses are getting to be poor identifiers as most gear ships with at least two physical network adapters, never mind the virtual ones.

Serial number can be a problem if your hardware maintenance has been sloppy; a very common one is Dell technicians forgetting to restore it when they replace a motherboard (the default Dell service tag is a bunch of y's with umlauts on them).