6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2017 11:27 AM by Tracy

Ivanti Endpoint Managment in AWS

DKWAK Apprentice

Team,

I am looking for guidance in which instance type I should use.

I cant find a exact match on the architecture guide and also am curious if anyone else has tried and succeeded....

About the Ivanti Endpoint Manager 2017 Architecture

Our environment 2K devices LDMS+LDDA+PATCH 

We are considering putting it all in the AWS cloud 

EC2 instance for Core server.  Which one?

RDS instance for Database.  Which One?

I have tested and it works great but not put into production and now need to consider costs. 

what does everyone think sizing should be

• 1. Re: Ivanti Endpoint Managment in AWS
          Apprentice

I haven't don't done this yet myself but have quite a bit of experience in AWS EC2.

Here's what I would recommend for EC2:

EC2 instance for Core server.  Which one?

m4.2xlarge (general purpose instance / meets CPU and exceeds memory specs)

c4.2xlarge (optimized for processor performance and meets recommended specs)

We generally use M4.xxxx instances unless a need is presented for something else. On top of that, you are getting more resources for the cost as both instance types are almost equal on cost.

Once you find an instance type that works, you can reduce cost further by switching it to a reserved instance.

As far as RDS goes... I can't help there. I haven't looked into that yet. The general rule of thumb for LD databases is that you have enough memory for the LD database to be stored in memory (for larger instances). You can possible ask support what the average size of the database will be for your deployment and go from there.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Ivanti Endpoint Managment in AWS
            Tracy Expert

I've been running my core(s) in AWS for a couple years now. Originally I was running 2 m4.xlarges... 1 for core and 1 for db. This was a little overkill as the servers were never really 'busy'.

I built a new LD2016 Server and currently use ONE m3.xlarge instance and have the core and DB on the same instance. It runs OK with some occasional CPU spikes.

If I were to build a new core today, I would probably go with a single m4.xlarge with GP2 SSD with MSSQL installed on the same instance. YMMV depending on what features you are using. We primarily only use inventory and patch on 1500 nodes. I was using LDDA, SWD, Provisioning, and SLM when I had the pair of m4.XLs so I don't know how much those additional features would tax my current M3 instance.

Tracy

• 3. Re: Ivanti Endpoint Managment in AWS
              Apprentice

Keep in mind with AWS, start it on the smallest possible and increase if needed. Try m4.xlarge and up it to m4.2xlarge if you are seeing performance issues. If using reserved instances, you'll need to make a call on what to use.

• 4. Re: Ivanti Endpoint Managment in AWS
                DKWAK Apprentice

Due to some Fiscal changes, we ended up not using AWS but here is what we had finalized before changing back to on-prem.

Core

TypeCPUMem
                t2.xlarge416

DB SQL  using RDS

TypeCPUMem
                db.m4.large28

We are 1900+ endpoints but after much analysis by DBA team, it was decided this is what we needed fro DB based upon historical usage at peak times

• 5. Re: Ivanti Endpoint Managment in AWS
                  DKWAK Apprentice

Tracy,

Curious how are you handling DR in AWS?  Dark Core, snapshots, backup...Just curious....

• 6. Re: Ivanti Endpoint Managment in AWS
                    Tracy Expert

I do nightly snapshots. We aren't using enough features to need HA or DR. I am pretty much down to just inventory and patch. I had to revert to a snap a while back (During a LANDesk field test beta), and it was no big deal. Since my database is on the same instance, I just lost a handful of inventory scans. I simply rolled back to the last snapshot and was back up and running in no time after completely wrecking my core server. If we were still using Remote Control/SWD/Inspector/etc, I'd probably have something a little more elegant.

Tracy