6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2008 7:19 AM by danstone

Best/Fastest method and configuration for software provisioning?

Rookie

Hi All

Can anyone tell me the best/fastest method and configuration for software provisioning?

I currently deploy my my machinesvia LANDesk 8.8 using the hardware independant method.  This all works brilliantly.  But when it comes to the software provisioning stage it slows down.

The current method I use for software provisioning is direct download ( via a batch script to xcopy) of the software packages which are in .exe format (using silent install switches).

This whole process of about 9 applications can take 30 minutes.  Is there anything I can do to speed this up?  I am in the process of building SWD snapshots of the applications to see if this makes any difference.  Is this a good idea?

Are there any configurations people use that I may not of thought of?

Thanks in advanced.

• 1. Re: Best/Fastest method and configuration for software provisioning?
          Employee

Try using sdclient instead of xcopy. If you've got it fully patched and configured correctly, sdclient can be faster because it can share locally instead of going back to the server for everything.

• 2. Re: Best/Fastest method and configuration for software provisioning?
            Rookie

Hi

I use Microsoft Server 2003 R2 - DFS Share at all destinations and my Software-Packages are lokated on this share.
            With LANDesk Provisioning it takes about 50 minutes for the deployment. ( formating, WinXP-install, Software-install)

I dont use the Hardware-Independent method, I use the software nLite!
            With nLite you open your WinXP Sources and include all of your drivers . . . that´s it!

Be carefull with the SWD-snapshot!
            I had problems with some Packages!
            for example:
               Registry-key=2
               after the Software-Installation the Registry-key=5
               So the SWD-Pakage will increase this value from 2 to 5   (+3)

But when a Client has a value like Registry-key=4, then after the SWD-Pakage-Deployment .. it will be 7
               So it will not work correctly!

Always check the *.cfg file before creating the SWD.exe!

Best Luck

• 3. Re: Best/Fastest method and configuration for software provisioning?
              zman Master

So you have 9 applications that take 30 minutes to install using provisioning. How long do these applications take to install not using provisioning? The reason I ask is that if it takes 30 minutes outside of provisioning, then the only thing you can do is place the applications into your image. If there is a significant difference in time between the two, then you have to find out why it is taking longer. Is it copying the app to the machine first (Jack)? If you have big enough pipes just run the app from the source. This can be faster sometimes. Is a virus scan app slowing things down, disk fragmentation, nic settings incorrect, etc....

Agree with Thomas, snapshots are evil. You may save sometime but it will kill you in the long run.

• 4. Re: Best/Fastest method and configuration for software provisioning?
                Rookie

Ok thanks guys.

Zman.. are snapshots not better in that they would install faster nd you also get the benefit of self healing etc which you don't get with .exe's?

• 5. Re: Best/Fastest method and configuration for software provisioning?
                  zman Master

I always have problems with that word "better" Snapshots may or may not be faster no way of telling, since this depends on a lot of factors. Inst32 can be a real resource hog sometimes. So the question is faster better? Snapshots when done correctly can be a useful tool. I would only use them as a last resort. If you do NOT cleanup the snapshots they may contain files/registry information that can crap up machines. So yeah the package may be faster, but troubleshooting the damage they potential leave behind could negate any time savings.  Even capturing on a clean machine, there is a lot of junk in the capture.     

So the real question is, does it take longer during provisioning than outside of provisioning, and why? Once you know the why, you can address the problem. Snapshots are basically morphine for the pain, you need to find the cause of the pain.

Another option (although not free) is Application Virtulization.

• 6. Re: Best/Fastest method and configuration for software provisioning?
                    Rookie

Ok Thanks.

So what is the correct way to have my applicatrions install from source? Whre do I change these settings so that it doesn't try to download each app to the sdcache/packages folder before installing.

Is there a whitepaper or best practice doc on this?