8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2008 2:13 AM by ahe

Excludes for inventory scanner ldiscn32.exe / offline files

Rookie

Is there a possibility to exclude complete drives for the inventory scanner ( ldiscn32.exe)?

Background:

##########

we have an HSM system (IBM Tivoli Storage Manager) running on windows fileserver? Whenever the HSM system stubed files (EXE DLL JPG) on the file space of the file server ldiscn32.exe retrieves during the inventory scan those stubed HSM offline files.

Action already done:

#################

Exclude directories in the [Exclude Folders] - section of the LdAppl3.ini

ExcludeDir=\Install\
      ExcludeDir=\Data\
      ExcludeDir=\Daten\
      ExcludeDir=\User\
      ExcludeDir=\Images\
      ExcludeDir=\Users\

Request software change for the ldiscn32.exe

######################################

ldiscn32.exe should ignore files with the offline flag on a filesystem.

Additional individual client scan options instead of one global LdAppl3.ini

Thanks and Regards, Peter

• 1. Re: Excludes for inventory scanner ldiscn32.exe / offline files
          ahe Expert

Hello Peter,

you've to exclude the folders in the LDAppl3.Template file, not in LDAPPL3.ini!

After changing the LDAppl3.Template start the LANDesk Console, open "Software License Monitoring" and press the button "Make Available to Clients". Now the LDAPPL3.ini and the additional compressed files are changed and will be downloaded to the clients before the next inventory scan.

Regards

Axel

• 2. Re: Excludes for inventory scanner ldiscn32.exe / offline files
            Rookie

Hi Axel,

Thank for your reply.

I do not know how the previous admin configured the inventory scans but after I made the changes the updated LdAppl3.ini has been found on the clients workstations.

Do you know where to request the described software changes?

Thanks and Regards, Peter

• 3. Re: Excludes for inventory scanner ldiscn32.exe / offline files
              ahe Expert

Hello Peter,

I've checked it on our environment (we've another achiving tool) and saw that we check all files too. And we scan some very large harddrives which are not necessary too. I've checked some documents and settings and couldn't find a hint to exclude drives or hide stubbed files.

I've logged a case, so we'll see...

Regards

Axel

• 4. Re: Excludes for inventory scanner ldiscn32.exe / offline files
                Rookie

Hi Axel,

fyi: it seems that the [Exclude Folders] section does have no any influence on the inventory scans for the "MultimediaExtensions" files. The scans ignore the exclude definition and scans those files. This causes a retrieve of the related files by the HSM software.

BTW: I do not understand what this is good for to know where MultimediaExtensions are stored.

Furthermore a redefinition of the related files seems also to have no affect to the scans.

; PB´20081204: OLD ENTRY MultimediaExtensions=.JPG .JPEG .BMP .MPG .MPEG .MPEG .MP3 .WMA .GIF .MOV .AIFF .M4P
                ;              MultimediaExtensions=.9999 to prevent scanning the above files

MultimediaExtensions=.9999

Thanks and regards,

Peter

• 5. Re: Excludes for inventory scanner ldiscn32.exe / offline files
                  ahe Expert

Hello Peter,

I know, it hides the folders only.

My goal is to hide the scan for the archived files (special flag is set) or to hide some special drives.

I don't want to hide the scan of all multimedia files...

Currently I've no reaction from LANDesk support for my case... (00140216 )

Regards

Axel

• 6. Re: Excludes for inventory scanner ldiscn32.exe / offline files
                    ahe Expert

Hello Peter,

one short hint. I've excluded successfully some drives with this lines:

[Exclude Folders]
                    ExcludeDir=D:\
                    ExcludeDir=H:\

Drive d:\ is a second partition, drive h:\ a external harddisk

The excluded drives must stored below [Exclude Folders] direct.

Regards

Axel

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Excludes for inventory scanner ldiscn32.exe / offline files
                      Rookie

Hi Axel,

have you also find out something about the multi media extension files? As stated before I've got the impression that the scan process does not take care about the definition of the extension of multi media files.

Thanks for your hint and all your effort.

Regards,

Peter

• 8. Re: Excludes for inventory scanner ldiscn32.exe / offline files
                        ahe Expert

Hello Peter

no I haven't, no hints about extensions of multi media files.

Try to ask support through self service portal... (http://community.landesk.com/support/community/portal)

I've asked support about the possibility to hide the scan of the offline/archived files, but they don't know how to handle it. In our environment the archived files are visible. But these files aren't the original files they are a 4K placeholder file only, which links to the archived files.

I've no idea how to hide the scan of the archived files, so I'll exclude the drives in ldappl3.ini.

Regards

Axel