5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2008 10:54 PM by rsterling

Showing file size in MB in reports - multimedia files

Apprentice

Ok folks, here's one for you..  I create a query of all multimedia files found.  Device Name, Login Name, Total files found, total file size.

All looks well in the query.  It shows a total file size of let's say:  9.6 MB, or perhaps 124.2 MB.

I can right click on the Query and say View as Report, all is still well and good - Except I can't save and edit this report (I need to do grouping, layout, etc)

So I say create Custom Report.  It rounds everything off to the nearest whole number and drops the "MB" extension.  Actually it doesn't even round to the nearest whole number because it is treating 6.5 MB as "6".  Now with 1000 nodes when you are trying to get a total file size occupied, by server, this matters.

Any thoughts?  I've created several reports, 'fiddled' with all report output settings I can find, no dice!

Thanks everyone.

• 1. Re: Showing file size in MB in reports - multimedia files
          egarlepp Employee

Just a thought since i have not heard of this, i would check first off that the size of the field is not the problem.  When making changes to fields, reports, etc in the custom reports area sometimes the field widths get condensed and actually blockout some of the data. Another thing to examine is that all fields have options where you can set things like that(rounding, decimals, etc..) for them(i believe).  I know you can change fonts, colors, create formulas, add suffixes, etc...

Hope this helps...

• 2. Re: Showing file size in MB in reports - multimedia files
            Master

Rich,

What about creating your query so it has the data you want and then creating a report using the Query as your filter? Would this work for you?

Steps:

1. Create Query

2. Create new custom report

3. Push the select button and choose your query from the list

4. Use the Design button to create your template

query.JPG

• 3. Re: Showing file size in MB in reports - multimedia files
              Apprentice

I've tried editing just about every setting in the report designer, I am also using my query.  Query and right click, view as report, both return the correct representation with "MB" as well as the correct value.

Issue 1, it's hard to do math on the "MB" extension so I could always tack that on statically, but it's even harder to do accurate math on invalid values, especially when their multiplied by 1000.  I have to open a ticket with Support.

Message was edited by: Rich Sterling

• 4. Re: Showing file size in MB in reports - multimedia files
                Master

Rich,

I see what you are saying. The problem is once you get into the designer it works kind of like excel where excel doesnt have a format for 1024 bytes = 1 megabyte and so forth. If we look in the designer and double click on TotalSize and look at the OutputFormat properties these are our options. (See image)

When we are right clicking on the query to create a report it is using the displayed values instead of an output format.

For your goal I would right click on your query to view as report, click on export to cvs, and then using excel create a formula that will convert the MB numbers correctly for a true count of your data.

Here is an example of an excel convertions:

=IF((A1>=POWER(2,30)), 
                         TEXT((A1/POWER(2,30)),"##0.00\GB"),
                         IF((A1>=POWER(2,20)),
                               TEXT((A1/POWER(2,20)),"##0.00\MB"),
                               IF((A1>=1024),
                                   TEXT((A1/1024),"##0.00\KB"),
                                   TEXT((A1/8),"##0.00\B")
                                   )
                             )
                        )

report1.JPG

• 5. Re: Showing file size in MB in reports - multimedia files
                  Apprentice

Thanks for all the input, but I was kinda looking to acheive this in LANDesk...    Not Excel....