3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2008 6:23 AM by ahe

Installing Office 2003 with Service Pack 3

Apprentice

I am currently installing Office 2003 using an updated administrative installation (with SP3 and a number of hotfixes), however it's not particularly successful due to the sheer number of files involved etc.  Therefore I want to update the process to use the "Best Known Method" process which involves simply using the files "as-is" from the CD rather than an admin installation.  This all seems to work fine, however the installation does not have a service pack integrated and therefore after installation all workstations would need to be updated to the latest service pack and then all subsequent hotfixes using the patching process.

The question is simply this....  Is it possible to obtain the installation CD from Microsoft which already has the service pack integrated?  I have checked the Microsoft Volume Licensing site but that only has the vanilla installation.  Alternatively, I suppose another solution would be to chain the two installations together, although that wouldn't be my preferred route.

How does everyone else manage this process?

Thanks in advance,

Stephen.

• 1. Re: Installing Office 2003 with Service Pack 3
          ahe Expert

Hello Stephen,

you could slipstream the SP3 in Office 2003... (I've done it for SP2 in the past...)

Here are two small batches (not tested) to extract and to slipstream the SP3...

Extract the SP3 to a directory:

@echo off
          set sp3_source=D:\LDPack\OFFSP3
          set sp3_src_up=D:\LDPack\OFFSP3\unpack

:START
          echo unpack sp3
          %sp3_source%\Office2003SP3-KB923618-FullFile-ENU /t:%sp3_src_up%\ /c
          goto END

Slipstream the extracted files in the Office source: (admin setup source)

@echo off
          set sp3_source=D:\LDPack\OFFSP3
          set sp3_src_up=D:\LDPack\OFFSP3\unpack
          set O2K3_dest=D:\LDPack\O2K3
          :UPD
          echo office-upd
          msiexec /p %sp3_src_up%\MAINSP3.msp /a %o2k3_dest%\PRO11.MSI shortfilenames=true /qb /LOG %sp3_source%\923618_1.txt

echo web
          msiexec /p %sp3_src_up%\OWC11SP3.msp /a %o2k3_dest%\OWC11.MSI shortfilenames=true /qb /LOG %sp3_source%\923618_2.txt

goto END

:END

Regards

Axel

• 2. Re: Installing Office 2003 with Service Pack 3
            Apprentice

Thanks but that's what I'm trying to avoid.  The BKM document specifically says "For most delivery methods, an administrative share is not recommended. If an administrative share is used, the installation will be extremely delayed by LANDesk's bandwidth features".  This is certainly true in my experience too.  Using the files as-is from the CD and then a "run from source" delivery method does seem to improve the installation time no end.

The BKM document is here btw (http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2161).

Cheers....

• 3. Re: Installing Office 2003 with Service Pack 3
              ahe Expert

Hello,

I fear, you can't slipstream SP3 in a CD, only to an administrative installation point:

Office 2003 Slipstreaming

Slipstream Microsoft Office 2003 SP3 into Microsoft Office 2003 CD

MS Technet:

Select the Best Method for Deploying Office 2003

The Administrative Installation Point Method

Some of the reasons for selecting the AIP method include:

•   

The client computers you’re targeting have insufficient disk space to store the local installation source used in the LIS method.

•   

You want to use Group Policy to install Office 2003.

•  
              •   You want to "   slipstream" updates into the source (so that new installations receive the latest updates during the initial installation).

In our environment we create a big package for Office and download the whole package (not one file after another), unpack it and start installation... (we use the package for standalone (offline) installations too)

Regards

Axel