4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2008 5:45 PM by leer312

Question for: license key is missing or has expired: 8004025D

Rookie

Hi there,

we run a LANDesk Core Server 8.8 without SPs. Since a few days we have some problems with two (known) Clients were the AV Client won't start anymore. I've found the following doc on this site: http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-1640

I tried to repair the AV Service via Console, (re)install the agent, delete with WinUninstallClient and reinstall the Agent but all without any success. Can anybody tell me someting about the solution Paul Hoffmann is talking about? To tell the truth, i have no idea how i can locate the affected dll files with the process explorer....

All hints and solutions are welcome! Many thanks in advance.

Some details form the avserices.log :

Mon, 08 Dec 2008 09:10:46 AV behavior loaded.
      Mon, 08 Dec 2008 09:10:46 Loading engine
      Mon, 08 Dec 2008 09:10:47 Load complete
      Mon, 08 Dec 2008 09:10:47 Verifying license
      Mon, 08 Dec 2008 09:10:47 License created: Friday, January 18, 2008, expiry: Tuesday, January 19, 2010
      Mon, 08 Dec 2008 09:10:47 Serial number: XXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXXXX
      Mon, 08 Dec 2008 09:10:47 lifespan: 365 days from created date
      Mon, 08 Dec 2008 09:10:47 License is valid.
      Mon, 08 Dec 2008 09:10:47 Setting affinity to 0
      Mon, 08 Dec 2008 09:10:47 .set file used: C:\Programme\LANDesk\LDClient\antivirus\bases\avp_ext.set
      Mon, 08 Dec 2008 09:10:47 Initializing on channel 0.  Include riskware: no
      Mon, 08 Dec 2008 09:10:47 Initialize returned 0x8004025d
      Mon, 08 Dec 2008 09:10:47 ERROR: Valid license not found
      Mon, 08 Dec 2008 09:10:47 ERROR: Failed to initialize the engine : (8004025D)
      Mon, 08 Dec 2008 09:10:47 ERROR: failed to initialize AV library : (8004025D)
      Mon, 08 Dec 2008 09:10:47 WriteAvSettings - user can toggle RT: 1
      Mon, 08 Dec 2008 09:10:47 ERROR: Failed to get the databases info : (8000FFFF)
      Mon, 08 Dec 2008 09:10:47 5660: Service stopped
      Mon, 08 Dec 2008 09:10:47 Exiting channel 0.

• 1. Re: Question for: license key is missing or has expired: 8004025D
          LANDave SupportEmployee

This can happen for several reasons:

AV Key Expired

The license keys are created and issued periodically. These are then made available as part of the antivirus content downloads from the core. In order for the core to download the latest keys as they become available, the Patch Content needs to have the "LANDesk Antivirus Updates" checked. The AV Key comes down with content. The key will also be downloaded if manually updating Antivirus Content using the LANDesk Antivirus tab in the Download Updates tool.

Each license key has two clocks that are ticking.

The first is the lifecycle of the AV Key. This lifecycle is typically 1 year or 2 years. The latest keys have a 2 year lifesycle.

This is reflected in the AVService.log file as the following lines:

Tue, 27 May 2008 11:42:40 Verifying license
          Tue, 27 May 2008 11:42:40 License created: Friday, January 18, 2008, expiry: Tuesday, January 19, 2010
          Tue, 27 May 2008 11:42:40 Serial number: XXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXXX
          Tue, 27 May 2008 11:42:40 lifespan: 365 days from created date
          Tue, 27 May 2008 11:42:40 License is valid.

The second lifespan is a clock that starts ticking when LANDesk Antivirus is installed on a node and this lifespan is typically 365 days from the date of the install.

LANDesk Software periodically publishes updated keys (more often than the 2 year lifecycle)

When the core server downloads a newer antivirus key file, it is placed into the LDLOGON\ANTIVIRUS directory and into the LDLOGON\ANTIVIRUS\BASES directory.

The client then synchronizes the contents of the entire BASES folder when it updates the virus definitions from the core server.

After the synchronization, the key is copied from the BASES folder to the ANTIVIRUS folder.

If the key has expired, it should be shown in the AVSERVICE.LOG (You can easily get to this on a client by typing "vulscan av" at a Run command, or it is available in \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\LANDeskAV).

The key can also be considered "expired" if the time and date is wrong on the client system.

If the key on the core is also expired, you will need to contact LANDesk Support for a new key.

The key needs to be placed in the following directories on the core:

Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\Ldlogon\Antivirus
          Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\Ldlogon\Antivirus\Bases

AV Key Missing
          Check the following directories for the existence of AV.KEY:

Client:
          Program Files\LANDesk\LDclient\Antivirus
          Program Files\LANDesk\LDclient\Antivirus\Bases

Core

Core Server Licensing
          It is possible that the core server licensing for the Antivirus Subscription has expired or has another issue.

Go to the Download Updates tool, and then the LANDesk Antivirus tab and check the date in the "Virus definitions approved for distribution".
          Make sure the date is a recent date. If it is not, select "Get latest definitions" and make sure that the content updates appropriately. If it just gives about 3 lines and says "Completed updating definitions", there may be an issue with the licensing, or you may not be licensed for Antivirus content.

To check the current licensing do one of the following:

1. In the Management Suite console on the core, go to Configure --> Product Licensing

or

2. Run the Core Server Activation utility and click "Licenses"

Make sure that you have "LANDesk Antivirus Subscription" for the appropriate version of LANDesk.

AV Key Corrupted
          There are instances where the AV Key file can get corrupted.

Compare the key on the client to the key on the core or a known good client. Are they the same?

If no clients are working, the key on the core may be corrupted as well.

Replace the key with a known good key.

The key needs to be placed in the following directories on the core:

Steps to take on the client(s) after getting an updated key:
          After an updated key has been placed on the core server, any clients whose keys have since expired will need to be pushed down to the clients.

This can be accomplished a number of different ways.

1. Push an Install/Update AV Task to client(s).

In order to do this, go to the Security and Patch Manager Tool, then select the second icon in the icon tray, then select "Install/Update LANDesk Antivirus".
          You can then select whether to run the task as a scheduled task, a policy, etc.

2. You can create a script to push copy down the AV Key to the client and then start the LANDesk Antivirus Service.

3. You can create a custom definition to copy the AV key down to the client and then start the LANDesk Antivirus service.

AV Key Expired - Client "Blackballed"

Keep this scenario in mind if you have only a few computers in the environment that don’t seem to accept the new key no matter what.

There are instances where the computer can be "blackballed" and the Good AV Key will not work on that computer, even after an agent uninstall/reinstall, etc. This can happen if the computer's date and time is off and is outside of the date range for the valid key.

If this happens, contact LANDesk Support for a different AV Key to copy to that client.

Note: Before copying the different key to the client, make SURE the date and time is correct on the client, or the client will also be blackballed for the new key.

• 2. Re: Question for: license key is missing or has expired: 8004025D
            Rookie

Hi,

thanks for your answer. I allready found this document but this hints didn't help me. When you have a look at my hyperlink in the first posting, you can find it - and when you scroll down there is an answer from Paul. I hope his solution will also work for us, but the problem is, i didn't know what i have to do..... I don't know how i can find the dll files.... His E-Mail address is not public so i can't write him a mail and thats the reason why i'm asking here for some help for his solution.

the facts:

- core server av license is valid(up to feb 2009)

- the client and the server have the av.key files in the corresponding directorys

- copying the av.key files from the server to the client was without success

- a reinstallation or repair task for the client failed, the av service is still down

- only 2 clients are effected with the problem, >200 work fine

• 3. Re: Question for: license key is missing or has expired: 8004025D
              LANDave SupportEmployee

If you have a LANDesk PMA, I would recommend calling into Support.   I am confident we can resolve this quickly for you.

• 4. Re: Question for: license key is missing or has expired: 8004025D
                Rookie

I had the same exact issue.  The way that was resolved was calling support and they issued a "special" key.