2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2009 1:23 AM by nia

SWD on VPN Users

Rookie

Hi,

We want to distribute a 90MB msi file (and install it) to about 1000 vpn Users.

I have read about checkpoint restart feature but I am not sure if it will work.

Keep in mind that everytime a vpn user connects to the network it takes a different ip.

If we create a job of push distribution and select to repeat only for the failed workstations, next time it is going to run, workstations - probably - will have other IP.

We use LDMS 8.7 SP5.

Any ideas will be helpful.

Regards,

Nikos

• 1. Re: SWD on VPN Users
          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Push isn't really suitable for this since you are not certain when they will be online.  Policy is best since the user's machine can initiate the installation.  Checkpoint restart itself is not reliant on the ip address.

I would recommend you get rid of the randomised delay for any policy tasks in the agent configuration for VPN users since you really need them doing something as soon as LANDesk detects an ip address change.

Mark Star - MarXtar LANDesk Enhancements

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk

• 2. Re: SWD on VPN Users
            Rookie

Hi MarXtar and thanks!

The test was made with Policy Supported Push method, executable package, using http download.

First test :  Start of distribution task, the file download starts on the remote machine and during the download the machine is rebooted . The file download stopped at 40% and after the reboot the download started from where it stopped. At the end distribution failed because of corrupted file.

Second test: Start of distribution task, the file download statrs on the remote machine and during the download i disconnect the machine for 5 mins. The file  download stopped at 40% . After 3mins the local task was canceled and after reconnecting the machine again and restarting the task file download starts from beginning.  Distribution was completed successfully.

Third Test : Start of distribution task, the file download starts on the remote machine and during the download i disconnect the machine for 10 secs. The file  download stopped at 40%  . After reconnecting the machine  download continued and the distribution finished successfully.

Do you have any idea about what happened?

Thanks in advance!

Nikos