8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2009 9:33 AM by rsterling

IDE-R, vPro and Bootable ISO

Apprentice

Hi again folks,

I have been trying so hard to create a bootable ISO with the LANDesk agent (and remote control) on it.  According to my testing, product advertising, and just a general HUNCH, I beleive with vPRO machines and utilizing IDE-R (serial over LAN) I can reboot a PC and watch it go through the whole boot cycle (BIOS) then when it switches to GUI, it will automatically pick up the GUI via remote control but the agent must be installed.

I am not dreaming, trust me, this'll work!  Same principle as if I did a vPro reboot and rebooted from the client's own hard drive, I can do the same thing from a redirect to an ISO.  It works great actually for an ISO like Hiren's boot CD which is all DOS/ANSI/ASCII based, but as soon as I opt for a GUI choice, the LD remote control window loses it.

This is probably more of a question for a BartPE, Reatogo, WinPE, Emergency 911, et. al. forum, but this is a VERY useful feature - if I can get it to work.

Imaging booting a remotely located PC (Let's say 500 miles away to make it worth while) to an ISO on your hard drive, ERD Commander for instance, so you can see, manipulate, modify and/or repair anything on the local drive (500 miles away, and it wont boot).  You can use ERD commander just as you would while sitting at the PC.

Problem is...  I needa' get that dang agent w/remote control installed and configured on a PE image!  Yes, I can do it with the ldvpe.img but there is nothing but a start button and command prompt.

OK, I'm done..  Sorry folks, I've been spending ALL day creating ISO's and what a defrag I'll need tomorrow!

best regards,

Rich S.

• 1. Re: IDE-R, vPro and Bootable ISO
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

OK ... so what exactly is it you need?

You stated your (rather interesting, I might add) idea - but it's a bit unclear what we can actually help you with.

I suppose you could try by beginning to install a minimalised LD agent on an OSD-WinPE image, and "see if it works in the first place" ... we've not tried this over here, and certainly this would be the first step. Or use BartPE - whatever flavour of PE it is you use .

See if you can install it - then see if the ISSUSER.EXE process is running ... (using the LOCAL Security Type would probably make life easier for you too, during your testing) ... and see if you can connect to the device-name / IP-address from the RC-console.

Installing the agent shouldn't be too tricky - you can create a self-extracing binary (right-click on the agent-configuration and select the option) ... and you can then browse \ go to the respective location and either copy the file down or run it remotely. Just because you "only" have a DOS-window doesn't mean you're cut off from the network.

Are you looking for help in how to connect to your Core / run the binary with the DOS window?

Still at a bit of a loos though as to what you're asking for .

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: IDE-R, vPro and Bootable ISO
            Employee

phoffmann wrote:

OK ... so what exactly is it you need?

You stated your (rather interesting, I might add) idea - but it's a bit unclear what we can actually help you with.

I suppose you could try by beginning to install a minimalised LD agent on an OSD-WinPE image, and "see if it works in the first place" ... we've not tried this over here, and certainly this would be the first step. Or use BartPE - whatever flavour of PE it is you use  .VGA

http://www.droppedpackets.org/osd/adding-remote-control-to-landesk-pe.pdf/view is a BKM for doing that part of the job... my concern is that Rich's AMT might only support SoL instead of VGA UI, in which case he'll be SOL without a CLI-based PE disk.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

• 3. Re: IDE-R, vPro and Bootable ISO
              Apprentice

Ok, let me explain a bit more..  With vPro enabled on our DC 7800's, I am able to do an IDE-R to an ISO.  Equally the same, I am able to reboot the PC to its own hard drive.  As the PC boots, I am able to view and manipulate the BIOS, by design as expected.  If I boot to the client's own hard drive, since the LANDesk agent is installed, once we get past POST, the remote window pauses for a bit then it seamlessly goes right into the Windows remote control window we are all familiar with.

So... assuming I can build a PE disk with the Remote Control agent installed - AND - this disk contains all of my useful tools that are on ERD, Reatogo, etc.  This will be indeed, the "Ultimate boot disk", LANDesk edition.

I worked a bit on the PE disk the other day and was not successful.  I will continue because since this works with the client's own bootable drive (the seamless switch from SOL to VGA), I can assume success once I make a lightweight ISO that contains enough tools to work with my dead hard drive that's a remote location 45 miles away.

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-3324

• 4. Re: IDE-R, vPro and Bootable ISO
                zman Master

Rich,

Those videos I posted can be somewhat confusing since some of the features are specifically related to Lenova. Where I would begin is to use the LANDesk Winpe ISO, add the remote control client, and see if you can have RC make it past the "Dead Zone". If you can't make it past the dead zone, then you should be able to RC the machine after it boot into PE.

I also think that if LANDesk/Intel really want to us to use Vpro, then these ISOs need to be already made for us. Well at least like a framework (pe, LDMS inv and RC) and we add our own diag/repair utils.

• 5. Re: IDE-R, vPro and Bootable ISO
                  Apprentice

I got it!  I made a BartPE with 8.8 and an "Emergency Boot CD/DVD ROM v6.0.1 Final Release".  The latter has a BEAUTIFUL GUI, comes pre-loaded with a bunch of goodies and when it's all said and done it comes down to editing about 4 files on the existing ISO or file structure and then adding a weeded out contents of your cba8 and LDClient folder.

I will put it all together soon and document it.  There's only one small issue when going from SOL to VGA and that is; since you are booting from bootable media, it just uses MAC address as the identifier, so when it tries to make a seamless transition from SOL to VGA, it warns you and asks if you still want to connect.

Also, you get no remote control icon in the console, but the purpose of it is to be initiated from a SOL session, so I guess I can live with both of those caveats.

I'll post back as soon as I document what I've done and maybe do a few more.  I would like to try Reatogo and ERD soon as well.

• 6. Re: IDE-R, vPro and Bootable ISO
                    Rookie

Rich.

when ready I'd like to see what you put together.

Josh H

vPro - Intel

• 7. Re: IDE-R, vPro and Bootable ISO
                      Employee

We are all waiting ansiously for the arrival of the new born "document".....grin.  Lots of pictures (screen shots) pls.

John Wyckoff