8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2008 4:44 PM by zman

Pull folder list into inventory

Rookie

Hi,

Is the a way to pull in a list of folders from a particular location on the hard drive into the LD inventory? I am running 8.8 sp2. i am also using LDMS_Client.

Thanks for any help,

Chris

• 1. Re: Pull folder list into inventory
          Rookie

Hello,

In a simple way,i would write a batch file that would run at login or launched by LDMS agent, with this command line in it:

Dir "C:\YourLocation\" > \\LOGSERVER\SHARE\%COMPUTERNAME%.LOG

I don't think you can write some dir stuff content in the LanDesk DB.

• 2. Re: Pull folder list into inventory
            Employee

I'll be writing a tool to do this soon... keep an eye on droppedpackets.org. Here's my build notes:

copy all the files from N directory paths into central share, organized by computer/user. Look into using web service share on the core so that gateway clients would work.

config passed as commandline would be best, might have to pass a file though.

if central share is reachable, create path and copy files to it. Plan for rsync support (modules for this do exist).

overwrite previous files; plan for option to specify date in the path though (share/computer/user/date/targetfiles).

bonus points: set a semaphore to ensure that it isn't going to happen too often. admin should be able to set semaphore length... this week we want it to run
            every day, next week we want it to run once.

UI NOTE -- need to show the admin a list of LANDesk queries that they can target with.

control should be from a scheduled policy so that status can be reported back. admin program should write a scheduled task (type=policy) into database and start now.

copy from all profiles -- support globbing for things like firefox's random directory names

Paths are specified from %USERPROFILE% as a root. Support Macs, Vista, &c.

USE CASE EXAMPLES:
            1) Get all firefox bookmarks.html files from all computers.
            2) Get all the *.log files from all bittorrent directories.

• 3. Re: Pull folder list into inventory
              Apprentice

You can use the inventory scanner to pull selected files into the database so that they can viewed when you look at the inventory for a machine. Don't believe there is any way of outputing the files to a report though, so might not meet your needs.

Create a task to output your folder list to a file on the PC.

Edit the ldappl3.template and find the Configuration Files section. Amend or add a line to pick up your file and save. Click the Make available to Clients button in the SLM.

• 4. Re: Pull folder list into inventory
                zman Master

I think one important item missing from the request is what you would do with the information once it is in LANDesk?  The reason I ask is that if you pipe to file and suck the file into LANDesk or you place the items in the custom registry, both have several limitations.  These limitations may have a bearing on what you are trying to do.

• 5. Re: Pull folder list into inventory
                  Employee

Oh, there's no intention on my part to put the data into LANDesk's database; frankly, the existing capability to suck in files is a Bad Thing(TM) in my opinion, the impact of which is only lessened by its failure to handle wildcarded paths. Ever seen how a database acts when you dump a whole lot of huge blobs into it? I once saw Oracle drive an 8x16 Sun VX880 to a utilization level of 50, trying to serve blobs to a website.

I'm just going to use LANDesk as a scheduling and execution infrastructure to populate a filesystem. Quite a lot like this, only LANDesk-dependent and working on Windows servers: http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/index.html

• 6. Re: Pull folder list into inventory
                    Rookie

Hi,

I did not explain corretly what i am looking for. Here is what i am trying to do. I am looking to pull into the LD inventory a list of profiles stored on a PC. We have alot of multi-user PCs. I am trying to get a list of what profiles reside on a PC. I though that brining in the list of folders only, not files in the documents and settings folder on a PC would help me figure out what PC a person has used since LD only stores the last logged on user in the DB. If there is a place in the LD DB that already has this info, i could not find it.

I hope this clears things up a bit.

Chris

• 7. Re: Pull folder list into inventory
                      Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

The information is under this key.  It has GUID and the username.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

• 8. Re: Pull folder list into inventory
                        zman Master

OK, there is an attribute in LANDesk Inventory called primary owner.  This takes account the last X (configured under services - I think it defaults to 5 and I think you can push it to 16) users stored when the inventory ran.  I then look for the most prominent user (user Y logged in 2 times user X logged in 5 times)  user x is primary owner. So in most instances, this should suffice for the owner.  It is probably a better measure than analyzing the profiles.

Another way would be to scrape the security logs for the most prominent user over x amount of days.

Primary owner logins: Sets the number of times the inventory scanner tracks logins to determine the primary owner of a device. The primary owner is the user who has logged in the most times within this specified number of logins. The default value is 5 and the minimum and maximum values are 1 and 16, respectively. If all of the logins are unique, the last user to log in is considered the primary owner. A device can have only one primary owner associated with it at a time. Primary user login data includes the user's fully qualified name in either ADS, NDS, domain name, or local name format (in that order), as well as the date of the last login.