3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2008 7:47 AM by zman

SWD Dependant Package Question

Rookie

Hi, I have a 2 Distribution Packages, one is a MSI, one is a batch file.  The MSI has a dependancy on the batch file.  In LD 8.5 this worked very well, when the scheduled task was run as a Policy, the SDClient would run and download both packages, install the batch file first, then the MSI second.  This is how it was set up.

In LD 8.8 I have created the same (as a Policy) however on the client, it downloads and installs the batch file, then reports back a failure in 8.8 with Unknown Error Code.  If I re-run the same as a Policy Support Push (defer install till next logon) it works as it did in 8.5.

Please can someone explain what the difference is, as I would only like to deliver software as Policy and NOT Policy Supported Push

Many thanks.

• 1. Re: SWD Dependant Package Question
          zman Master

So it is working as designed, if a dependant package fails everything fails. I think some of the batch file logic was changed a little in 8.8 (do a search of batch file failures).  I think it works better now, since it is seems to find the error levels better. So there is a couple of things you can try:

• Turn Echo On in your batch file. This will put more information in your sdclient log files.
          • Echo the errorlevel out so it will appear in the sdclient log file

::Run Your program   
               c:\data\program.exe  
               ECHO %ERRORLEVEL%

• If all else fails and you can't get you batch file to cough up a good return level, fake it out with a

EXIT /B 0

Hope this helps.

• 2. Re: SWD Dependant Package Question
            Rookie

Thanks for the reply. Strange thing is, the batch file installs correctly (which is the dependancy), but the MSI doesent even download into the sdmcache, its as if the task runs but only does half a job.  Other strange thing is if I run it as a Policy Supported Push and defer the install until next logon, it works.  I dont want to use Policy Supported Push, I just want to use Policy as I did with 8.5.

example with 8.8 POLICY

Package A = batch file

Package B = MSI

Package A needs to be installed prior to Package B.  Package B has a dependancy of Package A.  Only Package A is downloading into the sdmcache, then returns failure in LD.

example with 8.8 POLICY SUPPORTED PUSH (deferred till next Login)

Package A = batch file

Package B = MSI

Package A needs to be installed prior to Package B.  Package B has a dependancy of Package A.  Both package A & B are downloaded into the sdmcache, Package A installs first then Package B.

example with 8.5 POLICY

Package A = batch file

Package B = MSI

Package A needs to be installed prior to Package B.  Package B has a dependancy of Package A.  Both package A & B are downloaded into the sdmcache, Package A installs first then Package B.

I dont know why the Policy in LD8.8 is behaving different to that of 8.5.  Sorry if this is all repeats,

Thanks

• 3. Re: SWD Dependant Package Question
              zman Master

So the question is do you just want to see the rabbit or do you want to see the hat and how the trick works

I would just place a

EXIT /B 0

in your batch file as the last line and see what happens.  If it works it is FM and you move on with other stuff, if it still fails then we can look to the other scenarios.