7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2008 3:30 AM by phoffmann

Installing antivirus fails

Apprentice

Landesk AV will not install on some clients in our organisation

using the command

c:\program files\Landesk\ldclient\vulscan.exe /installav /showui

The program fails when it trys to download klif.sys via http from the ldlogon/antivirus directory on the core

This file does exist and it is readable via IE however it fails when the app trys to retrieve it

Tim

• 1. Re: Installing antivirus fails
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Hmm - check the IIS log on the Core ... check for entries for KLIF.SYS - see if there's a non-2xx code out there. If you're not sure how to read an IIS-log, paste any lines mentioning KLIF.SYS in here.

Also, "just because" IIS can access a file doesn't mean the client will be able to (I've found out, with much frustration) ... so double-checking by running FILEMON against your Core's ANTIVIRUS directory may help you see clearly a "access denied" or somesuch, hinting to an NTFS or even a STREAMS problem.

For STREAMS, please check this document (Alternate Data Streams are LOTS of fun...):

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-1002

Hope this helps.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: Installing antivirus fails
            Apprentice

This is the line from the iis log

2008-12-17 16:52:13 W3SVC1 192.168.4.62 HEAD /ldlogon/antivirus/klif.sys - 80 - 192.168.5.88 2576-LANDeskDownloader 200 0 0

• 3. Re: Installing antivirus fails
              Apprentice

Filemon shows

17:10:52 w3wp.exe:868 OPEN D:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\ldlogon\antivirus\klif.sys SUCCESS Options: Open NoBuffer Access: Read
              17:10:52 w3wp.exe:868 QUERY INFORMATION D:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\ldlogon\antivirus\klif.sys BUFFER OVERFLOW FileFsVolumeInformation
              17:10:52 w3wp.exe:868 QUERY INFORMATION D:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\ldlogon\antivirus\klif.sys BUFFER OVERFLOW FileAllInformation
              17:10:52 w3wp.exe:868 CLOSE D:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\ldlogon\antivirus\klif.sys SUCCESS 

• 4. Re: Installing antivirus fails
                Apprentice

This appears to be a permissions related issue on the local drive as I am unable to delete klif.sys file from the c:\Program Files\Landesk\LDClient\Antivirus directory

Tim

• 5. Re: Installing antivirus fails

NOT necessarily permissions...

Can also be a file-lock.

Get Process Explorer from www.microsoft.com and get use the "find handle" for "klif.sys" -- that should help you find out what process(-es) you need to kill in order to delete the KLIF.SYS on the client, in order to be able to properly update it (were it a DLL, I'd say use "FIND DLL..." but since it isn't...).

This is not something that should be a regular thing, but in some cases there's some obscure processes who lock down this or that DLL ... first time for me that I see it on the KLIF.SYS personally ... hope this helps .

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 6. Re: Installing antivirus fails
                    Apprentice

I went to process explorer first. no handles for the file.

I renamed the antivirus folder and was able to install

Tim

• 7. Re: Installing antivirus fails

Huh - strange ... but ah well - at least the source of evil was found and worked around .

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.