5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2009 9:18 AM by HolgerK

Virtualized Office 2003 and Sharepoint intranet portal

Apprentice

Hello again

I have a virtualized Office 2003 package (merged isolation mode) with few extra bits (reference manager, some add-ins etc) and it works absolutely fine apart from one thing. When clicking option "Edit in Microsoft Word (Excel, PP)" on any of Intranet portal document, message "edit document requires a windows sharepoint services-compatible application" appears. PCs are running on Windows XP, mostly SP2 and SP3.

I guess problem is in missing registry keys on client PC sand  Owssupp.dll registration as IE is installed on the machines while Office with Sharepoint Services component is virtual. One solution would be adding IE to virtual app package but I'd rather avoid creating a gigabyte packages, plus that would lead to even more problems with integrating virtualized IE and Windows.

I went through HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.txt created when capturing Office installation and changed keys that looked responsible for this to isolation_writecopy mode, but still no joy, google doesn't give me any working solution either.

Has anyone resolved this problem successfully? I don't really want to spend a week diging through all registry, specially that some class IDs for objects could be different on all host PCs, so any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Virtualized Office 2003 and Sharepoint intranet portal
          Tracy Expert

Do the associations work OK when just clicking on a .doc, .ppt .etc in the regular file system? Also did you build with the latest version 4.0.1-2866 ther were some related fixes in that build.

-Tracy

• 2. Re: Virtualized Office 2003 and Sharepoint intranet portal
            Rookie

One of our customers had the same problems. As Tracy wrote, try Version 4.01.2866 and the problems should be solved.

Holger

• 3. Re: Virtualized Office 2003 and Sharepoint intranet portal
              Apprentice

As you have both suggested I tried latest version 4.1.2866 and this problem still exists. It happens for all applications that are more deeply integrated with the OS, like Office 2003 or even Adobe Reader (tried versions 8 and 9). Reader works fine when launched itself or by opening any .pdf file, however Internet Explorer (versions 6 and 7) doesn't display PDFs in a browser window, it has to be saved on a local drive and then opened instead. Active X controls that do it are missing.

It does make sens to me, as Windows doesn't know what is in the sandbox. Obviously if ActiveX control launching PDFs within a web browser was captured into a virtual package, then hosts browser won't even know it exists. Is there really no obvious solution to that?

Thanks for all answers

Kamil

• 4. Re: Virtualized Office 2003 and Sharepoint intranet portal
                Tracy Expert

Try setting %temp% and % internet cache% folders as merged in your project directory and then rebuild the project. If those folders do not exist in your build directory, create them and then copy the attributes.ini from %personal% to each folder (the attributes.ini should have DirectoryIsolation=Merged). Many apps write file to %temp% and then the external application picks it up from there, If %temp% is sandboxed, the external app can't see it and will fail to open the file.

-Tracy

• 5. Re: Virtualized Office 2003 and Sharepoint intranet portal
                  Rookie

Ok, you use version 4.01.2866

How do you deploy your packages? As .msi

but did you thinreg your files with this new version. This is important, otherwise it don´t work

Regards

Holger Kühn

Perinova GmbH