2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2008 6:55 AM by fxsti01

What is the recommended process to remote control an offsite reimaged pc

Apprentice

before it is joined to the domain?  Or better yet, how do you remote control a pc that is in a "workgroup", but physically plugged into the network?  More details - we manually rename and join pc's to the domain after they are reimaged.  Since these reimaged pc's are still in a "workgroup" after being reimaged our helpdesk cannot use remote control via the web console.  We are able to include and/or install the latest agent after reimaging.  I'm running some tests to see if I can come up with a process we can use to have these check into the core db.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: What is the recommended process to remote control an offsite reimaged pc
          Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

By off-site do you mean they are not on the Corporate LAN?

Do you have a managment gateway device?

You say this:

We are able to include and/or install the latest agent after reimaging.

If you can do that, you can remote control the device with the management gateway.

• 2. Re: What is the recommended process to remote control a REMOTE reimaged pc
            Apprentice

Rhyous, sorry for confusing the issue.  The scenario is, after pc is reimaged at a remote location and on the corporate lan, runs sysprep (for volume license, generic name - desktop/laptop, workgroup), reboots, etc, etc, comes up to the desktop, at this point the pc is still in a workgroup.

Our helpdesk at this point used to use pc anywhere to pass thru to the pc to rename the it, and join it to the domain.  Now our images do not include pc anywhere.  I have included the new LanDesk agent 8.8 in our images, and deleted the reg entries for the common api's before sysprepping the images.

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LANDesk\Common Api]
            "UniqueID"=hex:f1,bc,a5,b7,7c,9e,70,48,9a,82,cc,4e,45,6f,0b,db

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Intel\LANDesk\Common Api]
            "UniqueID"=hex:f1,bc,a5,b7,7c,9e,70,48,9a,82,cc,4e,45,6f,0b,db

Once the reimaged pc is at the desktop, we walk the person at the remote location at the pc thru doing an Inventory scan, then a Security scan, sometimes it pops up in the console right away, sometimes we have to reboot once or twice, sometimes it can take up to 10-15 minutes to pop up in the console.  This is where we have to wait for it to populate into the console before we can remote control or use the management gateway device.

I guess my question is, is there any way to force a newly reimaged pc to check into the console?