7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2009 2:24 PM by Bd0g

Question size of file ldiscn32.log

essers1 Rookie

Hi,

I have a file which call ldiscn32.log in the directory C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\DATA. The size off this

file is 220M.

It's the right size.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Question size of file ldiscn32.log
          SupportEmployee

Could be that you have the /debug switch tied to your inventory scanner shortcut or local scheduler task. That log will continue to grow.

Are you using 8.8 ore 8.7?

If so you can delete the log and then check your shortcuts to the inventory scanner to make sure you dont have /debug in them.

To check your local scheduler tasks open cmd.exe and go to the ldclient folder. Type localsch.exe /tasks |more

This will show you all your tasks and you can make sure your ldiscn32 tasks also dont have /debug in them.

Hope this helps

-Brandon

• 2. Re: Question size of file ldiscn32.log
            zman Master

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\DATA this does not look like a valid path???

• 3. Re: Question size of file ldiscn32.log
              SupportEmployee

So this log is on the core server(only). It updates when the core does a self scan.

Feel free to delete the log as its a debug of the scan.

You can also open up a case with support to investigate the file growing to that size.

Thanks

-Brandon

• 4. Re: Question size of file ldiscn32.log
                zman Master

Sorry guys I thought we were talking about the client not the core.  Just checked and mine was close to 100 Mbs. Maybe something Coates can add to ldms_core to delete it until there is a fix.

• 5. Re: Question size of file ldiscn32.log
                  Employee

One of the things that really shocked me when I first learned Windows administration was that there's no logrotate. No port, no free tool with similar function... And whenever this conversation comes up I have to explain what logrotate is? (hint: it rotates logs, zipping and deleting the older ones, and restarting services as necessary).

Did I just miss it in the last five years of occassional STFW & RTFM?

Anyway, yes, I've noticed that file and I can zip it and archive until deletion days have passed. I'll add it to the todo list.

• 6. Re: Question size of file ldiscn32.log
                    Rookie

Hi,

The log is on the core server.

If i can delete, i do a schedule task for erase this log every month.

Thanks for your reponse.

• 7. Re: Question size of file ldiscn32.log
                      SupportEmployee

Essers, we now have a patch so the Core server does not write to the debug log any longer.

Here is the patch ID INV-2178088.2. You may place a call to support referencing this patch so it can be sent to you. A Reboot is required.

Also update this thread after you applied the patch with your results.

Feel free to delete the existing debug log C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\DATA\ldiscn32.log

This patch will be rolled into SP3 for 8.8 when that releases.

Thanks and have a great day.

-Brandon Hill