8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2009 2:24 AM by phoffmann

Can i Change the Computer Name Using Landesk ?

Rookie

Is it possible to change the computer name using Landesk ?

• 1. Re: Can i Change the Computer Name Using Landesk ?
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Can you provide some more information what your exact use case is?

If you're talking about pre-assigning a name to newly installed devices, then this is possible with "out of the box" tech - you'd just need a SYSPREP image and you'd use CSVIMPORT to create entries as you want them in the DB based on MAC-address + the host-name you want.

If you're talking about "I want to change device-A to be called device-B" then again, the answer is pretty much "yes", but you'll need to do some research into how to script this - and then either deploy an AUTOIT package and/or batch file (or whatever) - which is sure to include a "/F /SYNC" scan after the necessary reboot (so that you get a full update in the database with the different name).

Generally, anything that can be done via command-line can be scripted without too much hassle in LANDesk. You just need to do some research into the "how" of it (I'm sure it can be done through command-lines, I've just not had to look at this in 6 years or so).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can i Change the Computer Name Using Landesk ?
            Apprentice

Well, this is a good one. I wonder whether anybody has written a script to REMOTELY/SILENTLY:

a) change computer name A->B (not force restart, it's assumed it will be in effect next time the user restarts)

b) change computer name and join the domain

It sure would be nice to have the a) in the LANDesk UI.

• 3. Re: Can i Change the Computer Name Using Landesk ?

I don't think it would be a good thing to add to the UI at all.

You want to have reasonably common functions in the UI. Renaming a device is not exactly a "common" need. More to the point, it's something that should be tightly controlled (part of a project / re-imaging, or what not) - and to have this simply be an option in the UI is (in my eyes) going to cause more harm than the rare situation where it will be convenient.

No - we provide various functions to automate things - distribution of scripts in many ways - that's much better (and far more a controlled method) of doing this.

The thing to remember with these things, is to weigh carefully "time saved" versus "things that could go wrong" ... and renaming devices can cause quite a bit of upheaval (not to mention, quite a few upset cross-department issues, potentially) .

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 4. Re: Can i Change the Computer Name Using Landesk ?
                Apprentice

Paul,

Well, I can see why you wouldn't want to put in UI, however a script at least would make sense. This is not necessarily tied to imaging, more filling the hole when computer name doesn't get changed or defaults to the original name. I have certain number of computers that get shipped from the factory directly to the end user and even though they go through the sysprep the name doesn't reflect the final name we would like to have....

• 5. Re: Can i Change the Computer Name Using Landesk ?

OK - then fix sysprep, if it's not doing what you need it to do - or if not that, then the imaging process .

You can of course come up with your own script - but it would need to be something akin to a batch-file / AutoIT-script that's sent out as a package, because a reboot will be required ... and you need to make sure an inventory scan will come to the Core to update the information.

I'm not saying "it cannot be done" - I'm simply pointing out that there's various factors "to be aware and beware of", as simply changing names of a device is not something that can (or should) be done "on the fly". It would be far more cautious I'd say to fix the process that's causing you problems / isn't doing what you want it to ....

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 6. Re: Can i Change the Computer Name Using Landesk ?
                    Apprentice

The quick answer is yes you can.  netdome is a windows support tool which can remotely rename, add to domain and various other useful things.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc737599(WS.10).aspx

Download from here http://www.microsoft.com/DownLoads/details.aspx?familyid=49AE8576-9BB9-4126-9761-BA8011FABF38&displaylang=en

/Domain         Specifies the domain in which to remove the machine

/UserD          User account used to make the connection with the domain
                                    specified by the /Domain argument

/PasswordD      Password of the user account specified by /UserD.  A * means
                                    to prompt for the password

/UserO          User account used to make the connection with the machine to be
                                    removed

/PasswordO      Password of the user account specified By /UserO.  A * means
                                    to prompt for the password

/REBoot         Specifies that the machine should be shutdown and automatically
                                    rebooted after the Remove has completed.  The number of seconds
                                    before automatic shutdown can also be provided.  Default is
                                    30 seconds

e.g.

netdom.exe renamecomputer [old computer name] /NewName: [new computer name] /UserD:domain\user /PasswordD:xxx /UserO:domain\users /PasswordO:xxx /REBoot:1200

You would probably need to add to domain and then rename - dunno if a reboot is needed in between.

• 7. Re: Can i Change the Computer Name Using Landesk ?
                      Apprentice

Paul,

You know you're the man but I have to respectfully disagree with you here...:-)

I think it would be a great addition to LANDesk to have something built in for changing machine names.  We're currently switching from Ghost to LANDesk imaging and that's one thing I will most defnitely miss from Ghost.  Each machine had a "profile" inside the console much like the inventory you see with machines in LANDesk.  With Ghost, you could open a machines profile, change the name, then run a configuration refresh task that would update the physical machine with the new name and put it back on the domain.

If you're like us where you give your machines specific names to identify them in terms of location, type (HR, Ops, etc.), and more, then you may be renaming machines on a large scale from time to time when programs change, etc.  Being able to do this through Ghost was very easy and VERY helpful.

If anyone does build a script to do this with LANDesk, please share it!  Otherwise one of these days I'll slap something together and share it with everyone.

- Brandon

• 8. Re: Can i Change the Computer Name Using Landesk ?

Disagreement is something I strongly encourage. I don't claim to always (or even sometimes) have all the angles covered . Where would be the fun in a debate if we'd all agree about everything - would be quite boring no?

So - your specific case and the way you describe it makes sense Brandon, it's not something I've come across yet. What I would argue then is that this should be a separate, specific RBA right (call me paranoid, but I'd want to have a VERY tight control over who has and who has not got the right to just rename a box).

Renaming itself is not a big issue for us to deal with - since we operate on the LANDesk Device ID, which is separate anyway (specifically so that devices could be renamed and we could still match them to existing records) - so the underlying tech "is there" as it were ... updating DNS records and so on would be the other, sensitive thing.

At any rate, since there's "some" interest in this, I would suggest then that you log this as an enhancement request with support - stating the full business case - and then slap the ER # here into the discussion, since this way, any others who would be interested can just get themselves added to the existing thing.

It's still something I'd argue is a fairly "rare" requirement (as far as # of customers are concerned), but in some situations it is more apparent that it *IS* a need, so there's no harm at all in logging a legitimate ER for it .

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead