1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 22, 2009 1:55 AM by echda

MTFTP Service refusing to start (PXE)

Rookie

Hi there,

I've installed the PXE Representative (F8 options disabled) to one of our servers. Using a scheduled task, I saw that it was installed successfully. Went onto the server, verified the services and saw that the service LANDesk(R) PXE MTFTP Service appeared and was set to manual > tried to start it but received the following error message:

Could not start the LANDesk(R) PXE MTFTP Service service on Local Computer.

Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly.

The eventviewer gave this :

Event Type:    Error
      Event Source:    PxeServices
      Event Category:    None
      Event ID:    1
      Date:        1/22/2009
      Time:        1:09:53 PM
      User:        N/A
      Computer:    DELMUSMRU-RP001
      Description:
      The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( PxeServices ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: PxeMtftp: Unable to bind to socket on port 17664, Error=0x271d

thanks a lot for any help,

/dimi

• 1. Re: MTFTP Service refusing to start (PXE)
          Rookie

Solved!

I've done the same thing on two other servers (somewhere in November and December) and as we didn't experience the problem over there, I didn't think of the following : my local colleague saw that the Trivial FTP Daemon (provided with any 2003 installation) conflicted with the LANDesk TFTP service > set the TFTP Daemon to manual and restart the LANDesk TFTP service > that should do it.

cheers,

/dimi