4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2009 2:08 PM by wayneqsr

Dell Latitude E5400 & WinPE

Cedric FRANCOIS Apprentice

I got a problem booting WinPE on a Latitude E5400, an error message is displayed on command windows :

"The network adapter driver was not found etc."

I don't understand why, because it works fine on Latitude D630 which use the same network interface : "Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller" and the driver is well listed on WinPE driver image ...

The problem is the same in LDMS8.8 SP1 with a customized WinPE image and with my newly installed LDMS 8.8 SP2A ...

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Dell Latitude E5400 & WinPE

"Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller" is broad family of NICs. The fact that it is listed among the drivers in the WinPE image is a good thing of course. But look in the inf file and you will see dozen and dozens of different flavours of it, each with its own distinct PnP ID. And new ones come along all the time...

I've had the same experience recently with a Dell T3400, which also uses this "same" network adapter. But I needed to update the driver (inf and sys file) because evidently, the PnP id for my NIC wasn't known to the driver that I had in the WinPE image.

• 2. Re: Dell Latitude E5400 & WinPE
            ahe Expert

I've had the same problem and replace the old broadcom with the network driver for the E-series (E4300, E5400, E5500, E6400).

You need a b57win32.inf with the device id: DEV_1674.

We use this version:

DriverVer   = 06/05/2007,

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Dell Latitude E5400 & WinPE
              Cedric FRANCOIS Apprentice

OK it seems to now work ... but only for the network.

I try to inject SATA AHCI drivers too, in order to be able to boot winpe without changing sata mode in BIOS.

So i add the "Intel Matrix Storage Manager - Notebooks Driver" but it doesn't work ...

If i press F6 it tells me that no driver has been found and that Intele 82801HEM SATA RAID Controller (Mobile ICH8M-E)

Any good idea like with the network driver

• 4. Re: Dell Latitude E5400 & WinPE

We just got in ten Dell Latitude E5400's, and the Bart CD bluescreens within fifteen seconds of trying to boot off of it, before it even gets to the Networking prompt.

Any ideas on how to get past this would be greatly appreciated.