3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2009 3:10 PM by IronMike

SD Policy Install-Uninstall order

Apprentice

LDMS 8.8 SP2A
      Client Windows XP SP3
      2 Packages: Toto_v1.0.msi and Toto_v2.0.msi

Hi,
      I have a question regarding the order of the software distribution tasks.
      I will explain all the steps I have done:

1)  Create a standard MSI packages with the software Toto_V1.0.msi
      Then Create a second MSI packages with the software Toto_V1.0.msi but Uninstall options
      Make a association between both packages under the uninstall Option
      2) Do exactly the same for Toto_v2.0.msi...
      3) Create a delivery method Policy only
      4) Then create a scheduled tasks with the Packages Toto_V1.0.msi, the delivey method Policy just created and put
      Computer LDAP group as the Target.

The installation works fine everything OK.

5)  Then create a new scheduled tasks with the Packages Toto_V2.0.msi, the same delivey method Policy and put
      the same Computer LDAP group as the Target.

And now the goal is to delete the scheduled task with Toto_V1.0.msi (Then the uninstall association will start) and start the new task
      Toto_V2.0.msi...

The result of these actions work, the packages Toto_V1.0.msi is uninstalled and the new packages Toto_V2.0.msi is installed.
      The problem reside of the order, how LDMS handled this? Is the uninstallation first or the installation first?
      Because for some packages MSI error can occur if you try to install a packages before uninstall another one.

Is Somebody able to answer me.

Many thanks

Regards

Lionel Zufferey

• 1. Re: SD Policy Install-Uninstall order
          Employee

Lionel,

Are you trying to ask how you can be sure the old version uninstalls before installing the new version? You could make the older version uninstall a dependent package for the newer version. So any time you go to install the new version, the older version uninstall package runs first.

• 2. Re: SD Policy Install-Uninstall order
            Apprentice

Hi,

Yes, it's exactly what I would like... Sorry for my English

Thanks IronMike for your idea, but yes and no ;-) Your solution works, sure...

The problem is we are talking about 600 packages for 8000 devices and the complete infrastructure is based on the AD group.

There is a lot of mouvement regarding the group membership. All the helpdesk staff use only the AD group to install / remove software and we have configured LDMS

to works only based on AD group (like SCCM or GPO). The association between install packages and uninstall when policy removal cannot be removed.

There is a lot of packages that are using already using dependency (until 15) and it wil be more complicated to add everytime a new dependency for the uninstallation

and the uninstall dependency need to follow all new packages version and for home made package there is a release 1 per month... I prefer to leaves the Policy

do the job with the uninstall association...

Perhaps we do not have the choice and you solution will be the best... but...

It could be great to have an order regarding first apply uninstall policy and then install new policy this will resolve my problem. In the same idea, if a device is member

of 10 new groups, means it will receive 10 new software policy, how landesk install the packages? In parallel or what's the intelligence regarding many required policy

packages in the same time??  Based on the date and time of the scheduled tasks?

Many thansk again for you opinion and help.

Regards

Lionel

• 3. Re: SD Policy Install-Uninstall order
              Employee

That certainly is a challenging scenario.

If you are on LDMS 8.8, the packages are now run in the order of the task ID in the database (LD_Task I think). So there is no logic to it.

Do you have any control over the MSI packages? Can they be customized to check for previous versions and uninstall? Or can you use batch files to execute msiexec commands? The problem is that I don't think there is any logic within LDMS (other than package dependencies) to dictate the order in which packages should be applied. Have you thought about controlling the uninstall from within the package itself?