3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2009 1:53 PM by mrspike

Problems with jre-6u11-windows-i586-p.exe

Rookie

Is anyone able to autofix using jre-6u11-windows-i586-p.exe?  The latest JREJDK patch requires 8 different manual downloads, all of them install except jre-6u11-windows-i586-p.exe.  The only error message I can find tells me it failed while running commands.  I can run the patch manually and it installs fine (though not unattended)

I've verified I have the correct file and the hash is correct.

Thanks,

Stephen

• 1. Re: Problems with jre-6u11-windows-i586-p.exe
          mrspike SSMMVPGroup

Stephen,

Java 1.6.0_10 introduced a lovely new feature called the "Java Quick Starter" (aka, JQS) service (the full service name is "JavaQuickStarterService" for those that need it for a script) that is supposed to increase the performance of Java.  The problem is, those systems that have Java 1.6.x are being patched to v1.6.0_11 and if that service is running, the patch will fail, plus the user will be prompted to close any other applications that are open that use Java, mainly browsers.

This new version will also attempt to uninstall the previous version.

If you have a system that you have pushed the patch to and it fails, you will see this process running on it after a reboot:

jre-6u11-windows-i586-p.exe

It looks like Sun writes to the registry to continue the installation after a reboot, but since the JQS service is running, it will just hang there.

We have done a few things to get around this issue. IMO, I would use the script listed in #2 to stop and disable the service.  It is not needed and will cause you bunch of pathing issues down the road. Another approach is found in step # 3.

None of these get around the issue where the user have an open broweser or other Java enabled application.

1. I created a managed script with the commands below to stop the JQS service and kill the running (hung) process. This is not the best long term process, but will work to get the patch installed.

[MACHINES]
          REMEXEC10=net stop "Java Quick Starter"
          REMEXEC20=taskkill /F /IM jre-6u11-windows-i586-p.exe /IM msiexec.exe

You can then run the patch again, but must do so before rebooting or the service will start again

2. This script will stop and then disable the JQS Service, which is the method I recommend, it will help long term. See the attachments for the script.

3. Another Tech here (we have several cores) used the managed script below to remove the JQS feature from application all together using information gained from the Java forums.

[MACHINES]

REMEXEC1=<qt/>%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe<qt/> -unregister
          REMEXEC2=REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Update\Policy" /v EnableAutoUpdateCheck /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
          REMEXEC3=REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" /v SunJavaUpdateSched /f

Hope that helps!

LANDesk might want to look into adding a "stop service if running" command to the patch.

James

• 2. Re: Problems with jre-6u11-windows-i586-p.exe
            XLANDMark SupportEmployee

James,

You did some good research here on this issue. We will review your

suggestions for applicability in updating the vulnerability definition.

Thanks,

Mark A

• 3. Re: Problems with jre-6u11-windows-i586-p.exe
              mrspike SSMMVPGroup

Mark,

I just checked the latest JRE 1.6.0_12 patch, it looks like you guys scripted it to stop the JQS service bsfore the install, thanks!