4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2009 8:03 AM by Cedric FRANCOIS

How to add AHCI drivers on WinPE

Cedric FRANCOIS Apprentice

On all my recent DELL computers (Desktop and Laptop) i have too set bios to ata to be able to deploy Windows XP image, if not i got an error message telling disk as not been found ...

So i try to add the SATA drivers give by DELL in WinPE adding TXTSETUP.OEM and all associated files ... but it is the same, no way to make it work ...

I have another problem which is maybe linked to the fact we don't use the good disk drivers :

X:\i386\Setupapi.log is full of the same error message and took a too much important size :

#-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLDEVICE.
      #I123 Doing full install of "STORAGE\VOLUME\1&30A96598&0&SIGNATURECB81CB81OFFSET4E22CEC00LENGTH46D7E1000".
      #-035 Processing service Add/Delete section [volume_install.NTx86.Services].
      #W267 Controlling Service: Failed to generate tag for service "volsnap". Error 31: A device attached to the system is not functioning.
      #I121 Device install of "STORAGE\VOLUME\1&30A96598&0&SIGNATURECB81CB81OFFSET4E22CEC00LENGTH46D7E1000" finished successfully.
      [2009/01/27 16:59:14 264.1223 Driver Install]
      #-019 Searching for hardware ID(s): storage\volume
      #-198 Command line processed: X:\i386\system32\services.exe -setup
      #I022 Found "STORAGE\Volume" in X:\i386\inf\volume.inf; Device: "Generic volume"; Driver: "Generic volume"; Provider: "Microsoft"; Mfg: "Microsoft"; Section name: "volume_install".
      #I023 Actual install section: [volume_install.NTx86]. Rank: 0x00000000. Driver date: 10/01/2002. Version: 5.2.3790.1830.
      #-166 Device install function: DIF_SELECTBESTCOMPATDRV.
      #I063 Selected driver installs from section [volume_install] in "x:\i386\inf\volume.inf".
      #I320 Class GUID of device remains: {71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}.
      #I060 Set selected driver.
      #I058 Selected best compatible driver.
      #-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLDEVICEFILES.
      #I124 Doing copy-only install of "STORAGE\VOLUME\1&30A96598&0&SIGNATURECB81CB81OFFSET4E22CEC00LENGTH46D7E1000".
      #-166 Device install function: DIF_REGISTER_COINSTALLERS.
      #I056 Coinstallers registered.
      #-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLINTERFACES.
      #-011 Installing section [volume_install.NTx86.Interfaces] from "x:\i386\inf\volume.inf".
      #I054 Interfaces installed.

Is there a way to solve this problem ?

• 1. Re: How to add AHCI drivers on WinPE

Does it help if you switch the sata drive to compatibility mode in the bios?

If not you may want to give that a try.  You are probably right that you will have to modify the txtsetup file.

Please read http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-1157.

You may have to try a few of different contollers in the list before it will load the correct driver.  It can be a bit of trial and error before you get it working correctly.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to add AHCI drivers on WinPE

SATA compatibility fix the problem but i would like to use ahci, and maybe ahci will fix the errors log in setupapi.log ...

I already have a look to the documentation, but it's make a lot of test finding the good driver so if someone has already found it ...

• 3. Re: How to add AHCI drivers on WinPE
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

Those are often VERY hardware specific in my experience, so if you list what hardware you have, maybe someone can suggest something.

Good luck in finding (hopefully) one driver to suit your needs .

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 4. Re: How to add AHCI drivers on WinPE

I think i fin d the correct driver for DELL Latitude 5400

In TXTSETUP.OEM we have to modify default to iaAHCI_ICH9MEM which is for "Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller"

Maybe a document with the correct AHCI driver for each computer will be a great thing.

For my second problem which is the increasing of the size because of the huge number of "Failed to generate tag for service "volsnap". Error 31" message error the AHCI driver change nothing.

If someone has an idea because, it take a lot of space (sometimes 8Mb), of time, and generate osd errors ...