8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2009 9:42 AM by Tracy

Detect task completion

Apprentice

Hi:

I've been trying to deploy images to workstations in the test lab.  We are using Symantec Ghost 11 and LD OSD.

My process so far:

• I have to manually start GhostCast server, specify the start time to 20 minutes after the last client is connected to the session.
      •  

• Schedule my OSD script and drag managed devices to the task,
          •   
          • at this pint I can start the job or schedule it. 
          •   
          • LDMS copies the LDVPE1.img to the local workstation and prepares to VBOOT 
          •   
          • workstations VBOOT and part of the script connects to the GhostCast server
          •   
          •   
          • Once the timeout is reached GhostCast starts
          •   
          •   
          • After imaging the workstation reboots and configures itself to join AD
          •   
          •   
          • The same workstation name is used
          •   
          •  

• Now the workstation needs to get the LD Agent
              •  

•   
                • A schedule task is launched to push the agent to the devices.
                •   
                •   
                • Since workstation name and IP are the same, agent is pushed to the workstation
                •   
                •   
                • UDD is not needed, there will be duplicated devices in the LD database but that will be purged during the database Maintenance cycle.
                •   
                •  
              • To complete the workstation setup I also schedule another task to install our AV
              •  

•   
                • Since the agent is installed on the workstations, software distribution is possible.
                •   
                •  

The problem is trying to have this entire process automated.  Currently I'm scheduling the task with enough time in between to allow one task to complete before the second and third task start.  My question is: Is it possible to have one task start based on a completed task?  In the school environment I cannot depend on exact time when one task will complete, some ghosting time have taken as long as 3 hours (due to bad NIC or switch).  It would be wonderful if I can have the Agent deployment task start as soon as the OSD task is completed, not to mention the AV task start after the LD Agent task is completed.

We are currently using LDMS 8.8 SP2, I know that using Provisioning I can deploy OSes install the LANDesk Agent and also install additional software (I've deployed Win2003 this way) but this is imaging, are the two the same or similar?  If so, how could I achieve this with Provisioning?  I am not using PXE representative, nor do I believe it is needed in this case, I could be wrong.

• 1. Re: Detect task completion
                  Rookie

Hi

why dont you use the provisioning for all your tasks?

For Imaging, Agent installation and SW Distribution?

I think its the best way installing a client automatically!

And I cannot think about another way to creat a task after an completed task.

I hope someone else has more ideas 

• 2. HRe: Detect task completion
                    Apprentice

Hi:

Thank you for the response.

After writing the post I did experiment with Provisioning.  Created the template and tried it out, but the task does not execute and has message "delayed".

I used Provisioning before when installing an OS via bare metal server.  I want to use provisioning but for devices that already exist in the database.  Any suggestions?

• 3. Re: HRe: Detect task completion
                      Rookie

Hi

sorry, but I think I didnt get your problem.

I can drag an new "bear metal server" or an existing Node onto my Provisioning-Item. ( for example Office 2003)

He will ask for the deployment method and create a new task for the selected workstation.

--------------------------

maybe start:

C:\%program files%\LANDesk\LDClient\LDISCN32.EXE /NTT=LDCORE:5007 /S=LDCORE  /I=HTTP://LDCORE/ldlogon/ldappl3.ldz

to be sure, that the LD-Database has the right IP-Adress!

• 4. Re: HRe: Detect task completion
                        zman Master

I believe keos is saying he schedules the provisioning template and starts it, and nothing happens. I've seen this before and I've just started to troubleshoot (sp2 with all post patches). You sched it as a PSP or required policy and it never runs.  This was with my THin client test so I assumed it was a thin client issue.  So to kick it in its @ss I just created another job to start it:

\\CORENAME\ldlogon\Provisioning\windows\ldProvision.exe -c CORENAME

• 5. Re: HRe: Detect task completion
                          Apprentice

Now that is very interesting, I would have assumed (based on my previous provisioning task) that I could simply schedule the provisioning task add devices and start the task.  The device would  go through all the provisioning task etc.

Why do I need to create another job to execute?

\\CORENAME\ldlogon\Provisioning\windows\ldProvision.exe -c CORENAME

You both are right about running ldprovision.exe, but why is it needed?

• 6. Re: HRe: Detect task completion
                            zman Master

You should not, something is not correct - this is a work around.

• 7. Re: HRe: Detect task completion
                              Apprentice

The only thing that is different is: I no longer have a PXE REP, but if I'm not PXEing then I wouldn't need the Rep correct?

I'm attempting to reimage the workstation which is a manage device, in my template I want the computer to reboot into WinPE and then map to the ghost32.exe and join the ghostcast server, once imaging is completed install the LANDesk agent and some software.

Is my logic wrong in this case?

• 8. Re: HRe: Detect task completion
                                Tracy Expert

Has anyone out there in Communityland made a super sweet template that can "vboot"? I just Spoke with KeoS and that is what he would need to do to use Provisioning the way he wants. Basically no PXE. My Provisioning counterpart (Watts) is out so I can't ask him. Ideas?

-Tracy