8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2009 1:58 PM by THogland

OSD Deployment

Apprentice

Hi,

Am not able to capture image through Landesk, it gets stuck after the PXE boot menu.

I tried WiNPESHL command aswell but still no help, i have attached the error Log file for the same.

Let me know what troubleshooting have to be donr from my end to get it resolve.

Thanks & regards,

Suprith Karnad

• 1. Re: OSD Deployment
          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

The log file is empty meaning nothing kicked off at the server side for this job.  Did you atually see the PXE menu and choose something?  If not then perhaps you don't have the right driver in here for your network card.  If you did, then make sure your machine managed to successfully send a scan to the core server so that it's address details were updated.  Are your inventory and scheduler services still running?

Also, is the issue happening just to a particular model type or is it affecting all systems.  If it worked before but doesn't now then it indicates a change of some kind.  Any patching done recently?  Have you done the basic restart of the PXE Rep and the Core Server just tom check if that resolves anything?

Mark Star - MarXtar LANDesk Enhancements

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk

• 2. Re: OSD Deployment
            Apprentice

Hi,

Am able to see the PXE boot Menu and have selected the script but after selecting the script nothing happens just a while screen is displayed. Both inventory & schedular services are running.

Am facing the issue with all the desktop models and no patches were applied to the core server.

Is there anything that i can check for

• 3. Re: OSD Deployment
              Apprentice

I am getting the exact same thing! I can select the capture image script, but then nothing happens.

• 4. Re: OSD Deployment
                Apprentice

Hi Suprith,

Can you re-deploy the PXE Rep once again and check it out ! And keep in mind that it is not recommended to make the LANDesk Core server as PXE Representative.

Regis

• 5. Re: OSD Deployment
                  ahe Expert

Hello,

could you check in "New Console" if a drive mapping exist? "net use"

If no drive mapping exist, could you try to map it with "net use". Map the same drive with the same letter as you want in your OSD script.

If the mapping is succesful (with no username/password question) it can be a timing problem of the command "drvmap" in the OSD script...

If you need a other account for mapping or the "net use" send a error, check the permissions to the share. (Network, Domain Computers,...)

Regards

Axel

• 6. Re: OSD Deployment
                    phoffmann SupportEmployee

skarnad wrote:

Hi,

Am able to see the PXE boot Menu and have selected the script but after selecting the script nothing happens just a while screen is displayed. Both inventory & schedular services are running.

Am facing the issue with all the desktop models and no patches were applied to the core server.

Is there anything that i can check for

... well, for a start, you may want to patch up the Core + PXE reps ... if you're on 8.7, there's SP6. If you're on 8.8, SP3 has just been released. You can find these here:

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-1001

(Remember to redeploy the PXE reps after upgrading to the latest service pack). Ensure you've made a backup of your WinPE images, "just in case".

One thing that sometimes is responsible for this, is that the "LANDesk Management Agent"-service has gone AWOL on the Core. I don't know to this day what causes it, and it seems to be highly situationary but it does happen - and if the "LANDesk Management Agent"-service is gone on your Core, that would explain why this isn't working. So you may want to check that up (the good news is that the fix is pretty simple).

Another possibility is to do with networking ... you may just want to make sure you've added static mappings to your LMHOSTS/HOSTS file ... and then, as Axel pointed out, checking out how Net Use behaves is a good thing to try.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 7. Re: OSD Deployment
                      THogland Apprentice

I have started seeing a similar issue since last week-ish. Our env is 8.8 SP2A, OSD via PXE/WinPE worked great. Started seeing a few systems hanging on image deployment - retrying seemed to fix. Then. random systems would hang - log file is the same as the original posted above, no errors, just no job. I rebooted the core Thursday morning, which cleared it up until that afternoon... This morning, I'm trying to capture a new image, and it's hung again. I tried this - verified (and recycled) Inventory service, boot to WinPE PXE menu, open new console, run 'miniscan', verify there's one system with that IP and MAC in the database, pick "capture new image". Nothing. After digging here, I printed the script and manually typed everything from "BEGIN WINPE" to the imagew.exe line, and it works (the image is capturing right now), except for the "del c:\ldvpe1.img" - that's nowhere to be found on the system.

The only issue we've had with PXE/WinPE has been an occasional job failure, where looking at the log it's obvious the system wasn't found. (Job status starting with "(OFF)" kinda thing.) Opening the console and entering 'miniscan' then 'pxemenustart' allows the job to run...

I have a few new systems (just out-of-the-box Dell Optiplex 760s) doing this, and some old, already-in-the-database systems, like this current one. I'm somewhat stumped on how to troubleshoot this without an error log...

• 8. Re: OSD Deployment
                        THogland Apprentice

After my image captured, I created a new capture script using the wizard. Pushed it into the PXE menu, then rebooted the "bad" box and started it. Same thing - no job, no status, no errors, nothing.

I did find a possible log difference. CoreWebServices.log is slightly different on a working and non-working machine... I've carved out the corresponding entries and attached them...

I also followed the " How to Troubleshoot WinPE hanging after selecting an OSD script from the Boot Menu." (DOC-3473), and got nowhere. (There is a log created, but it's empty.) Restarted the services, unregistered and reregistered residentagent.exe, verified the PXE.asmx page works and can pull the objectID of the affected system, then had the "enter MAC and script GUID" fail, and had custjoblaunch.exe do nothing. Frustrating...