1 2 3 Previous Next 38 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2009 11:17 PM by Dataspike Branched to a new discussion.

What tasks do you do daily that you want to do with LANDesk but don't know how?

Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

I find a lot of our customers are doing repetitive tasks manually and have not yet configured LANDesk to do these tasks for them.  It may be something help desk does daily, or some manual health check that you have to go through after rebooting a server.  No matter what it is, LANDesk should be able to help do it.  So respond away...what things do you want to do with LANDesk but are not doing with LANDesk.

• 1. Re: What tasks do you do daily that you want to do with LANDesk but don't know how?
          zman Master

So I think a lot of the new features tend to be based outwardly - help the client - help management with reports. So what about us burntout, tired, old @ss LANDesk administrators?  How about a dashboard (yeah one that actually works and is useful) for us!

Something we could setup for US!!!!!! How many jobs are running, status, overall failures, what are my cores doing etc... I find myself checking on critical jobs. It would be nice to have a email of these critical jobs status, or pie in the sky access to them via blackberry/handheld. More monitoring for US.

Scraping Monster looking for a new job. Managing multiple cores. Enough said ;-)

• 2. Re: What tasks do you do daily that you want to do with LANDesk but don't know how?

I guess I am not looking for enhancement requests so much as i am looking for tasks that poeple are doing manually that we could show them how to automate with LANDesk.

• 3. Re: What tasks do you do daily that you want to do with LANDesk but don't know how?
              egarlepp Employee

The problem with this thread is that most admins have dealt with the these things for so long that they have built scripts to do them but i will give it a shot.

• Running coredbutil and then dbrepair and remove any data outside custom data automatically.
              • How about converting scopes to queries(public queries) on a regular basis, where it would overwrite the queries so that they stay up to date as changes are made.
              • 4. Re: What tasks do you do daily that you want to do with LANDesk but don't know how?

Maybe that is the case for you two...but remember you are quite experienced. 

When I talk to customers (on the phones, at Regional Users Groups, or in person) there are so many things they are not doing through LANDesk because they don't have time to build a script or even figure out how to script things.  Also, there are often disconnects between the LANDesk administrator and the other company administrators and IT help desk.

The problem with this thread is that the LANDesk administrators are not always the ones who know about these or are feeling this pains the other administrators or IT help desk feel.

One example would be this:

Users call help desk because their outlook is hosed.  How could we script fix outlook?

I am looking for people to finish these sentences:

• Even though we have LANDesk we didn't use it for ...
                • We went to each machine and did ...
                • Help desk constantly has to remote in and fix ...
                • The top help desk call in my company is ...

Basically, I am asking the LANDesk administrator to talk to his peers in other parts of IT and find out what the biggest pains of the other team members are.

• 5. Re: What tasks do you do daily that you want to do with LANDesk but don't know how?
                  Rookie

Yes, I agree 100%, we need ONE place to go to see what jobs/processes are running on the core and on what machines!!!!!!

• 6. Re: What tasks do you do daily that you want to do with LANDesk but don't know how?
                    zman Master

Sorry. We have very good relationships with other areas and they know LANDesk capabilities. If other areas have a manual fix (our support center discovers something), it is passed off to us for evaluation and to see if we can fix the root cause with automation.

So in some respects be careful what you ask for? Once the word gets out there will be a lot of requests flowing through the LANDesk group.

• 7. Re: What tasks do you do daily that you want to do with LANDesk but don't know how?
                      egarlepp Employee

Ahhhh.  How about the mechanism for delivery for the help desk.  what i mean by it is to provide(set aside) scripts/software deployments that can easily be selected within the RC session(drop down?) and deployed out to the user they are assisting.  I understand that you are looking for the processes themselves, but if we view it from the perspective of how to get the fix out there more effiiciently, providing a quick drop down for deploying that fix via RC would be most useful for a help desk agent.

In terms of top calls to the help desk, it is resetting passwords in AD.  I know there is software out there to do it but it would be nice to do it from within LD and free. ;-)

• 8. Re: What tasks do you do daily that you want to do with LANDesk but don't know how?
                        Rookie

What about defragment and maintainance scripts to keep clients up to speed, we have used script to Defragment and have some scripts for temporary files cleanup.  It would be good to have one place in the forum to share them.

What I would like to see is a easy way to scan system for spyware, virus, temporary files and defragment the disk with a weekly task and add in some reporting options.

Also it would be interesting to have task for speeding up, slow (old) clients, this could be done by stopping unnecessary services, tuning themes and so on.  This could for example be deployed in provisioning after image deployment or by sending this to one or more clients.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: What tasks do you do daily that you want to do with LANDesk but don't know how?

Zman,

Of course your company is doing well...you work there.  But other companies are struggling.

EGarlepp,

Your feature request to have some help desk tasks available in RC would be awesome.  I like it a lot.

Landice,

So you are talking about automating some computer speed up techniques.

http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/getstarted/speed.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/northrup_restoreperf.mspx

Defrag could be less difficult is a native tool that we could schedule.  But reporting on who is defragged and when the last defragment task completed would be more difficult.

There are some software companies that sell software to speed up your computer (mostly with registry fixes), such as these:

http://registrycleanerhelp.org

We need to figure out how to script such a registry cleaner.  Then provide a report on what was done.

• 10. Re: What tasks do you do daily that you want to do with LANDesk but don't know how?
                            zman Master

Paul, If you only knew the truth - LOL.

So I started working on a script a while back that places a lot of information into the registry for LANDesk to pickup. One of this was defragment level of the hard drive, last date, , event log scrapping, chkdsk, etc... I stopped because I thought Jack was going to write it If somebody wants it the defrag portion is almost done. Although not pure LANDesk, our help desk/support  uses this a lot for very quick RC sesssions.

• 11. Re: What tasks do you do daily that you want to do with LANDesk but don't know how?

Right...defragmenting is easy:

Defrag Now batch file for the C:\ drive

This batch file is simple and just does the C:\ drive

@ECHO ON

defrag.exe c: -f -v

Defrag Now Batch file for any and all drives

Defrag Now Batch file for any and all drives that might be fixed disks.  This batch file is a bit more complex. (Not 100% tested)

@ECHO ON

REM Skip functions as they are not to be used when the batch file is started. 
                                GOTO main 

:f_defrag 
                                  defrag.exe %1: -f -v
                                 IF NOT "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="0" EXIT /B 0 
                                GOTO end

REM Makes sure the drive is a hard drive and not a CD-Rom or mapped drive. 
                                :f_isHD 
                                  fsutil fsinfo drivetype %1: |FINDSTR /C:"Fixed Drive" 
                                  IF "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="0" (CALL :f_defrag %1) 
                                GOTO end 

:main
                                 FOR /D %%d IN ('A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z') DO CALL :f_isHD %%d 

:end 

This could also be written in VBScript but I will leave some one else to do that.

Defrag as a local scheduler task once a week on Friday or Saturday.

This batch file adds a local scheduler task that defrags the system every friday

@ECHO ON

REM Add the local scheduler task. No path is need when pushing through LANDesk.
                               localsch.exe /exe=defrag.exe /cmd="c: -f" /freq=172800 /dow="5|6" /taskid=2001

REM Localsch.exe returns the taskid as a successful result code, catch it and
                               REM return 0 if successful.
                               IF "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="2001" Exit /B 0

The switches used to determine when this task will run are these:

/freq=172800 (set the next time to run in 2 days in seconds)

/dow="5|6" (Only run if it is between day 5 (Friday) or day 6 (Saturday)

So for example, if this runs on a Friday, the next start time will be for two days later, which is a Sunday, however it won't run on that Sunday because the day of week filter will keep it from running until the next Friday or Saturday.

• 12. Re: What tasks do you do daily that you want to do with LANDesk but don't know how?
                                zman Master

Yep, good stuff. Mine took a slightly different approach. Since the process is so IO intnesive I wanted a way to know the fragmentation status of the drive and be able to query on it via LANDesk. My thoughts were why defrag when it may not be necessay.  So the script reports the fragmentation status to LANDesk. This way you could query on say all systems over 25%. Then we would use your batch files to defrag

I thought about also having logic to say if drive is over X% fragemented - schedule a defrag.  There is also some starter code for chkdsk, report if there are issues with the drive and the verbiage so it can be queried.

I think you may be Rob van der Woude's twin....

• 13. Re: What tasks do you do daily that you want to do with LANDesk but don't know how?
                                  Employee

If you know how to get the info, send it over and I'll try to put it into ldms_client.

• 14. Re: What tasks do you do daily that you want to do with LANDesk but don't know how?
                                    zman Master

Pretty much done for now : Basically run defrag -a drive and cpature output. Find everything with % and use a regular expression to extract it out.

$pid = Run(@ComSpec & ' /c defrag.exe -a ' & $Drives[$i] , @SystemDir, @SW_HIDE, 2) ; Stdout - run defrag with analyze only 
                                             While ProcessExists ($pid) ; While defrag is running, grab stdout 
                                                  Sleep (10) 
                                          $StdOutReadData &= StdOutRead($pid) 
                                             WEnd 
                                             If StringRegExp ($StdOutReadData, "[0-9]{1,2}%", 0) Then ; Evaluate string looking for #% 
                                                  $RegExp = StringRegExp ($StdOutReadData, "([0-9]{1,2})(?:%)", 3) ; Store all % entries without the % to array $regexp 
                                             EndIf

1 2 3 Previous Next