6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2015 12:37 AM by rolandas

Allowing to make just specific status changes for a particular role. 

Rookie

Hi all,

what would be the best way to allow user in particular role make just specified status changes (e.g. user in Third Party role to change status only from "Waiting for 3rd party" to "Resolved")? However, when new incident is being created by the same role, all statuses should be available.

I am very new to HEAT so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Allowing to make just specific status changes for a particular role. 
          ian.teasdale@it.ox.ac.uk Apprentice

Hi Rolandas

The way I'd approach this would be to have essentially 2 status boxes on the same form with conditional hide rules. The status box that everyone sees would be made visible to the 3rd party only when the incident is not in a status of 'waiting for 3rd party' and then I'd create a second status drop down which was only visible if the current user role was equal to 'third party' and the status was equal to 'waiting for 3rd party'. For the second box you'd need to create a new pick list which only had values of waiting for 3rd party or resolved.

An alternative approach would be to have status box that everyone sees would be made visible to the 3rd party only when the incident is not in a status of 'waiting for 3rd party' and then create a second status field which was read only and only visible if the current user role was equal to 'third party' and the status was equal to 'waiting for 3rd party'. You could then create a quick action for the 3rd party role to set the status to resolved. I'd be tempted to use the second method and have the resolve quick action prompt the 3rd party to complete all the fields necessary to resolve the incident.

Hope that helps

Ian

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Allowing to make just specific status changes for a particular role. 
            Rookie

Hi Ian,

that makes a lot of sense, thanks!

• 3. Re: Allowing to make just specific status changes for a particular role. 
              chris1 Apprentice

What are you trying to achieve? Based on the example you listed, it seems that you want the Third Party Role to only be able to change the status to Resolved when it is currently at a value of Waiting for 3rd Party.  Users with this role would be able to set any status on a new incident.

Do I have that correct?

If so, I would consider coming at it from a different angle. Here is what I would consider. If the Role = Third Party and the Status= Waiting for Third Party, hide the Status field and replace instead with a Resolved checkbox or similar. If the checkbox is clicked, set the (hidden) status to Resolved.

Since the status field is only hidden when the status = Waiting for third party, it would be able to be used normally at other times.

You didn't provide any details on your version. So I cant speak specifically to setting this up.

• 4. Re: Allowing to make just specific status changes for a particular role. 
                Rookie

Hi Chris,

you understood my problem correctly.

I decided to do something similar to what you said. When Role=Third Party and Status = Waiting for 3rd Party, I make status field read only, but next to it I want to add a button that would be linked to quick action that let's say resolves the incident. I know how to add such button on the workspace toolbar, but cannot find out how to do that next to the status field. Maybe you could help me?

Is there any more detailed documentation on functions that can be used, button creation and other things that cannot be found in help?

My version is 2015.2.

• 5. Re: Allowing to make just specific status changes for a particular role. 
                  chris1 Apprentice

If the steps below are something you haven't done before, I would urge you to consider taking a training course with HEAT to become a little more familiar with this type of work.

Here is a URL to the Administer Section of the Help file. This can help get you started :

Replace YOURTENANT in the URL below with the name of your tenant.

https://YOURTENANT.saasit.com/help/admin/index.html#configure/administer.htm%3FTocPath%3DAdminister%7C_____0

This is only one way to do this but it would look something like this:

1) Add a field to the incident form called "ThirdPartyResolve" or something similar, I would created it as a boolean field.

2) Edit the form  that your users will be using

3) Add a visible expression that looks something like this to the Status field:  $(CurrentUserRole() != "Third Party" && Status != "Waiting for 3rd Party")

4) Place the newly created "ThirdPartyResolve" field on the form right next to the Status field.

5) Add a visible expression to the ThirdPartyResolve field that looks something like this: $(CurrentUserRole() == "Third Party" && Status == "Waiting for 3rd Party")

6) Update the Label for this field to be something like "Resolved?" Since the field is a checkbox, the user would check the field if it is resolved.

7) Add a Triggered Action Business Rule which will be triggered on Update of the ThirdPartyResolve if it is set to True

8) The Action that would be triggered would be an update Object that will set the Status to "Resolved".

Test and further refine according to your needs.

• 6. Re: Allowing to make just specific status changes for a particular role. 
                    Rookie

Yes I've done it, works perfectly. Thanks for help!