4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2015 2:23 AM by [email protected]

Creating an appointment booking system - repeating appointment objects

ian.teasdale@it.ox.ac.uk Apprentice

Hi

Our service desk has an appointment booking service and currently we use Outlook to manage them and not to put too fine a point on it, it's rubbish. We intend to build something in HEAT to manage it.

I'm visualising doing the following:

• Building a custom business object called appointments
      • Creating a relationship between appointments and incidents (so we can book an appointment with someone if it becomes necessary to resolve their incident)
      • Create status's and owners of the appointments, so we can see what appointments we have, how many are free and who is taking them

What I'd be hoping to do is to bulk create the appointments ahead of time with no owner and a status of free, however I can't for the life of me work out how to do this part. I was hoping I could somehow do something like mass create x number of hour long appointments between 9 and 5 on weekdays for the x number of months.

Any suggestions on either how to do the mass creation or alternative approaches to setting up and appointment system would very gratefully received.

Thanks

Ian

• 1. Re: Creating an appointment booking system - repeating appointment objects
          Apprentice

There may be other ways but teh obvious way to me is that your business rules would need to allow no owners and you would use the data import connections and upload a mapped csv

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Creating an appointment booking system - repeating appointment objects

I'd considered that, but I was hoping there was a neater way to create them directly in HEAT, but failing that you are right I can use an import to create them.

• 3. Re: Creating an appointment booking system - repeating appointment objects
              Apprentice

You may be able to create a quick action with an insert object and then stick it on some sort of repeat either scheduled, workflow, click a couple of hundred times

• 4. Re: Creating an appointment booking system - repeating appointment objects

As an update to my original question (if anyone else is thinking of doing something similar). We had a HEAT consultant in doing some other work and as he finished early he got cracking on this for us too. The tricky bit was creating the repeating appointments. What we've done is create a business object called Appointment Creation and all it has is 2 fields, one for the owner of the appointment and the other for the week commencing date. You are then able to run a quick action which is a composite action made up of multiple insert objects (with our new Appointment business object) which look at the owner and set a startdatetime of the appointment based on the w/c date you set in the Appointment Creation object, so for instance for the Monday 9am appointment you would have an insert Appointment object with the following values:

Field Name:  StartDateTime          Field Value: $(AddHours(9, StartDate))

Field Name:  Owner                       Field Value: $(Owner)

For 10am you'd have:

Field Name:  StartDateTime          Field Value: $(AddHours(10, StartDate))

Field Name:  Owner                       Field Value: $(Owner)

Repeat teh above until you have a weeks worth of appointments.

If you wanted you could set this up as a repeating workflow, however given we are likely to need some flexibility of who is available for appointments we think the overhead of clicking a button once a week is perfectly acceptable.

2 of 2 people found this helpful