3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2016 1:10 PM by chris1

How to put Carriage Returns in an Import concatenation?

joetetley Apprentice

I can't find any way of putting concatenations in an Import.  Has anyone else done this?

For now I'm just going to import into into separate fields and then put the data together in a business rule but was wondering if this was possible in an import (without having to go down the XML/XSLT route)?

• 2. Re: How to put Carriage Returns in an Import concatenation?
          joetetley Apprentice

Thanks Chris - yes, I tried this it just wasn't shown in the screenshot included, this is what I'm using in a business rule expression however, it doesn't seem to work inside the import.  When I do this I just get:

AVENUE\r\nNETHERTON

I also tried adding some character codes as well.

For now I'm importing into separate fields (which also allows me to use ToProper to get rid of the CAPS!) and then using the business rule to concatenate instead.

• 3. Re: How to put Carriage Returns in an Import concatenation?
            chris1 Apprentice

I managed to figure something out for this. Actually two options.

I am assuming you are importing from a spreadsheet or csv that can be opened in excel.

Option 1

In any case I added a Column in my spreadsheet titled "Carriage".

In that column I added pasted a carriage return into the cell and then copied it to all of the other cells. (Check to be sure you  have the carriage by moving your arrow keys up and down in the end. If it doesn't move you don't have the carriage return)

Save your file and then update you import to concatenate using this new column. Here is what mine looked like (My column was called carriage)

Run your import and you should have the carriage return.

Option 2

Now about that "ToProper". We can we just go ahead and create a new column in excel that has the carriage return and then go ahead and use to ToProper on Import

To create the new column in Excel just add a column and fill it with a formula like this "=B2&CHAR(10)&C2"  Assuming that the text you want to concat is in cell b2 and also C2.

You will need to turn on wrap text on this column to see that it did add the carriage return.

Create your mapping and map this new column to the field using ToProper.

Here is what mine looked like:

Now if you don't ever want to touch the spreadsheet, I am at a loss, I couldnt find any other values that would work. HEAT may need to get involved to give us the ability to add the ability to insert carriage returns and line feeds on imports as I could see this being helpful.

1 of 1 people found this helpful